Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Way more applicants?
Currently on my first subI and everyone has told me that they have 5+ applying from their school when most years have 1-2. Do you guys think that this year will have a huge surge in applications? What have your experiences been?
Had about 3 per year in the last couple classes at my school. Im the only one in my class though. It seems to just depend on the year
Just keep in mind the people you are most likely to meet are those from the over represented schools. We got the average number of sub-i requests this year compared to the last 2. I imagine the pool is likely about the same.
(07-24-2017, 07:06 PM)Focus Wrote: Just keep in mind the people you are most likely to meet are those from the over represented schools. We got the average number of sub-i requests this year compared to the last 2. I imagine the pool is likely about the same.

Thanks for always helping out on this forum. If you don't mind, I have a few questions:

How many sub-I requests do you generally get a year? 
How many do you offer and what criteria are used to determine who gets a sub-I and who doesn't?
Would you consider your program high, middle, or low tier? I only ask this because I imagine the top tier programs get a lot more sub-Is compared to the smaller programs.

Thanks.
We evaluate sub-is by the same criteria we evaluate applications: a panel of volunteer residents/attendings review the applications and rate them based on grades, boards scores, research output, school tier, and any other information we might get in the application packet. We try to squeeze ideally all those who apply, but inevitably a few get rejected due to over application for a specific month, in which case we select those with the highest average score.
Every program has an algorithm, but as @Focus indicated, those are the general criteria used for selection.
(07-25-2017, 04:57 PM)Focus Wrote: We evaluate sub-is by the same criteria we evaluate applications: a panel of volunteer residents/attendings review the applications and rate them based on grades, boards scores, research output, school tier, and any other information we might get in the application packet. We try to squeeze ideally all those who apply, but inevitably a few get rejected due to over application for a specific month, in which case we select those with the highest average score.

(07-25-2017, 05:54 PM)socrates Wrote: Every program has an algorithm, but as @Focus indicated, those are the general criteria used for selection.

Thanks! Makes sense, essentially the same process as is used for rank lists. On average, what would you all say is the number of sub-I's at an institution per cycle? I'm guessing 3-5/month for July-September = 9-15 total sub-I's/cycle? I'm sure there is variability (I've heard some popular programs can have 25+ Sub-Is/cycle) but, on average, I can't imagine an institution being able to accommodate more than 3-5/month.
What school has more than 5 applicants this year??????
(07-25-2017, 10:10 PM)Guest Wrote: What school has more than 5 applicants this year??????

Smart money is on Columbia
There are other schools with less or no people applying when they previously had as many as 9.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)