Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Advice for incoming MS1 interested in NSG
Hello everyone, 

I will be attending a T15 medical school with a top NSG residency program this year. I am truly interested in pursuing neurosurgery, however, I have limited research experience. I currently participate in neuro-related research at an Ivy but I have no publications so far. I understand that this is a highly academic field and not having any publications prior to med school is not ideal.

I am aware that starting med school is a big adjustment to begin with, but what are some actions that I can take in the next few years to have a chance at NSG? Thank you very much in advance!
Everything needed to match neurosurgery is well in front of you during med school. Doesn't matter if you do or don't have a few insignificant pubs from undergrad. Congrats on the acceptance. I suggest right now, including the upcoming summer before M1, you chill tf out. Don't think about med school, just relax. When you start med school, everything will fall into place and the opportunities will be laid out in front of you, it's just a matter of if you are willing to take them.
That is very reassuring. I will do my absolute best to take advantage of the opportunities. Thank you so much for your advice!
Current PGY6 here. One salient piece of advice I can offer is to effectively ignore the overwhelming majority of shenanigans and nonsense that you’ll see on this website. I’m addicted to the drama, like watching NASCAR for the crashes, hence why I’m here. But for you, find a good mentor(s) you trust for direction and guidance. Although the first responder’s advice is obviously sound.
what happens to people who never match into surgery? do they ever find happiness? I know a lot of folks who want surgery but can't get in, are they ever happy? I know many people who never get into medical school and they always seem to have a grudge, wondering if its the same in surgery?

For me personally, I don't think I'd ever be truly happy unless I match at a top surgery program.
Even if you do match at a top surgery program, it will not be the source of happiness in your life. At some point, you have to settle and accept what you get.

Plenty of people who match into surgical specialties then realize it's not for them and switch to almost always a non-surgical specialty.

It's okay to seek a competitive specialty but keep the bigger picture in mind and be grateful that you're in medical school, which is hard enough to get into these days.
^^^ I was under the impression that med school admission is getting easier?
Ignore the people who say to chill before M1. Get ahead of the curve and learn stats. That's what I did and it paid huge dividends (20+ pubs at a top 3 school). Med school is not hard. You don't need to "chill" beforehand. Invest now and save yourself a headache later.
^^ What program did you learn in particular? Thank you
(01-16-2023, 04:35 PM)Guest Wrote: ^^ What program did you learn in particular? Thank you

R. Pick up Andy Field's Discovering Statistics using R. He writes in a very straightforward and fun manner. Skip the chapters on MANOVA, Exploratory Factor Analysis, and multilevel linear models. I've never used them and doubt you will. And lucky for you, his updated book will come out in May of 2024. However, you can get started on his older edition. That book has 95 percent of what you will need for med school and will carry you. I reference it for every project.

Once again, ignore the people who say to chill. Glad I didn't listen to those dudes. It's not like you can stockpile on all that "chillness." We're neurosurgeons. We were built not to chill. It goes against our fundamental nature. Get ahead of the competition now while they're all sitting around not doing jack shit. You'll thank me in 2027.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)