Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Info on Mayo Rochester?
Anyone at that place or know people who are their?

Is it really all that it's cracked up to be? So I was looking at the research and a lot of it was just like "Retrospective review of XYZ in patients with ABC" type of thing. But I also assume lots of good research goes on as well? How are the hours like, are they really less than 80/week? 

It seems like the Number 1 program but does anyone know for certain?

Thank you?
Fantastic operative experience that’s definitely one of the best in the country with early exposure to cases as soon as pgy 1. Some late pgy1s will practically be able to do their adult shunt for NPH cases on their own and likewise some of their pgy2s learn to do one to two level laminectomies practically on their own. PAs hold the pager so residents are allowed to operate, operate, operate. Incredibly high volume - particularly high relative to the national average in elective spine, peripheral nerve, skull base. Vascular and functional are above average nationally but not the highest nationally. Very little trauma- mostly spine fractures in geriatric patients and subdurals.

Research is what you make of it. The most visible is certainly the high volume labs as you mention but there is significant support for basic science tumor research. One of the graduating chiefs secured many grants for his basic pediatric brain tumor work and secured a great postgrad peds fellowship. The closest university for research collabs is UMinn which does have a Rochester campus.

Bc of their mentorship model format, hours really depend on a faculty by faculty basis. You can imagine if you’re assigned to the faculty with long adult spine deformity and skull base cases your hours will be longer compared to say when youre with the functional and peripheral nerve faculty. Rounding expectations depend on a faculty by faculty basis - some of the skull base faculty have expected times for you to am and pm round but most will let you arrive as early/leave as late you want as long as the work gets done which of course depends on how many inpatients are on your faculty’s service.
There is no top program. Attempts to reduce things into an absolute rank list are taking a complex, personal decision and trying to oversimplify it. Mayo is a very good program, but it isn't for everything. As alluded to, while it does have a robust clinical research background Mayo's lack of a truly integrated University may make it a bit harder for multidisciplinary basic science collaborations, though not impossible. Like Barrow, I'm sure Mayo has some affiliation agreement with some local university or basic science institute. Other things that can be drawbacks may include the location, Rochester and the Midwest may not be for everyone. Because it is situated in a small city and there are level one centers closer to other population centers like Minneapolis/St. Paul, it tends to be heavily elective in nature. That can be a good thing in some ways, particularly in terms of resident lifestyle and being able to read in advance about cases. However, I think you can lose out a bit on learning acute management of various conditions including, but not limited to, trauma. Regarding trauma, you will hear some people express the opinion of trauma that can be distilled to "once you've done 5-10 hemicraniectomies there's nothing left to learn". It is my experience that people who poo poo trauma tend to have only done 5-10 hemicraniectomies.
Thank you so much to the above 2 posters. So I guess it really is as good as it is made out to be. I knew that it would not be too good for trauma. Also, from what I understand they don't take indigent patients so that is also a bad thing if you want experience in that.

However I am very interested in clinical research so Mayo looks solid in that and it appears that residents have enough time to pursue such work.

Thank you so much again
Also, do you have advice for gaining admission into this program? What are they looking for? How to differentiate?

Thank you so much once again
(01-15-2023, 11:50 PM)Guest Wrote: Also, do you have advice for gaining admission into this program? What are they looking for? How to differentiate?

Thank you so much once again

They look for common sense. High Step, high number of publications, great LORs, top 10 med school program with strong neurosurg program.
Would they consider someone from a gutter-tier med school?
They don’t look for people who ask repetitive, obvious questions on an Internet forum instead of just using the search function
^^ They seem to be open to taking foreign medical graduates, so it seems like prestige doesn't matter too much
(01-17-2023, 08:30 PM)Guest Wrote: ^^ They seem to be open to taking foreign medical graduates, so it seems like prestige doesn't matter too much

Literally one person and he was already a board certified neurosurgeon in Mexico. Get off that copium.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)