Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ways for a neurosurgeon to do basic science research without running a lab
I'm an MS3 who's been doing clinical research for the past 3 years. I've published many papers (20+) but over the past few months I've realized that I've missed the intellectual rigor that comes with working in a basic science lab. During undergrad, I employed 2-photon imaging/optogenetics to study the mouse brain, but didn't realize until too late that my interests were more actually suited towards molecular biology/computation. If I were to do a post-doc/fellowship following med school, I'd probably know less than an undergrad given that I never learned basic molecular bio techniques. 

Therefore, I was wondering if there was some way in the future that I can get involved in basic science studies without having to run a laboratory? I've seen some of the neurosurgeons at my institution collaborate with basic scientists, so perhaps that's one option? I also really enjoy computation/coding, although I'm not sure how to apply those skills. In general, I'm wondering if anyone here has seen any neurosurgeons participate in high level studies without having to actually run a traditional lab? I've seen presentations online from neurosurgeons like Chris Ames from UCSF who've done some high level research without running their own lab. I'm hoping to eventually go into spine as well with a focus on complex spinal deformity.
Doesn’t sound like you’d fit into the spine world well
(02-09-2023, 12:13 PM)Guest Wrote: Doesn’t sound like you’d fit into the spine world well

Care to justify? My interests align pretty closely with Ames.
You can just volunteer in the lab on weekends and Friday nights, like how I did in college.
(02-19-2023, 12:58 AM)Guest Wrote: You can just volunteer in the lab on weekends and Friday nights, like how I did in college.

Probably not a feasible approach as an attending and I'd want "ownership" over my work.
Your day job will be surgery. Your only way to do this is to have a good collaborating relationship with a PhD.

If you’re a surgeon, the highest status bench research will ever be for you is “side gig.” You will never be as productive or up-to-date in a basic science field as a PhD with no other purpose in life.

If that’s actually what you want, though, then what could you possibly be thinking blowing 11 years on the MD and residency training?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)