Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neurosurgical Atlas and personal gain
Does anyone else find it off-putting that Aaron Cohen-Gadol is using Neurosurgical Atlas as a platform to funnel patients to himself and his business? Maybe this is just how things have to be to support a resource like Neurosurgical Atlas but this just reeks of exploiting what's supposed to be a resource for all neurosurgeons for personal gain.
I know him personally, he has funded the platform with his personal money for years. No one can deny the amount of detail and dedication put into the platform. It is not cheap to produce something with such quality.

I know young attendings who still review it before their big cases. In my opinion, it is fair that he starts to look for ways to make it self-sustainable. I doubt institutional subscriptions from medical schools and individual/young surgeons would make him a profit. He tried to keep it open for free for so long, and even started a non-profit so people can make tax-deductible donations to it, but wasn't enough to cover the running costs of the platform: illustrators, editors, servers, back-up storage, etc.

Regarding funneling patients: If he is a good surgeon (and he is a superb one, operates in real life exactly like he does on the atlas videos), who is sought after by trainees and young surgeons for educational purposes, I don't see the problem with patients seeking him for treatment. It isn't like he used other people's money to create it and is not reaping its benefits to himself.
Agree
Cohen
It is a blessing to the community and he should be rewarded for his efforts
Don’t appreciate that he uses rhotons work as if he was his fellow though (he wasn’t)
Fwiw Rhoton left his collection open to everyone when he died if I recall.
Neurosurgical Atlas is behind a subscription now. How many of your programs bought an institutional license?
The fact this question is even being asked shows the general ignorance in medicine about the challenges and demands of running a premium service. Neurosurgical atlas is not just a resource — it is arguable THE resource for many use cases. Making a premium product is extraordinarily demanding and asking for it to remain free is like asking you to do your work for free.
My program (Midwest based) recently got a subscription for all our residents/fellows when we asked for it. Program Director agreed it is useful for our education and pre-op preparation.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)