Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transferring programs as PGY6
I am well-aware this is not a common scenario but I feel the autonomy is so limited in my program with the exception of traumas. Is there a problem with leaving to another program as PGY 6 with potentially adding an extra year? Would you be comfortable to go to a fellowship (no fellowship secured yet) when you barely know how to open and close skull base and aneurysm cases? Attendings are heavily involved in exposure and critical portion of surgeries. 
Thinking of what surgeries I will be comfortable doing if I stay in this program makes me going nuts. I will be limited to simple intra-axial brain tumors, shunts, traumas, PCFs and simple laminectomies. 

What do people recommend here? Another point of view is just to graduate from my program and work on my skills later?
Just asking, externally, is this a well regarded program?

My take, don’t burn bridges, finish there and learn what you can, secure an operative heavy fellowship through the connections you have at your program.

Same responder, also see if you can do an enfolded fellowship in the coming year. Emory is currently looking for a tumor fellow 2023-2024.
probably a more common scenario than you think. I think transferring out at this point is out of the question. learn what you can and hope for the best in fellowship.
Do your best to assert your learning opportunities and start looking for a clinically heavy fellowship. Agree, fairly common especially at academic programs.
What kind of program are you coming from? Well regarded, as post above? Really depends on the kind of program you’re at.
Just stay where ur at, and finish it out. Ur experience is pretty much what every senior/chief experience is at most of the academic places that get talked about on this forum.
You didn’t say what your career goals are either. If you want to do PP then the stuff you said you are ok with is 99% of what you will need to do. No one can do a petroclival meningioma and T4 to Pelvis correction with the same skill level. If you want to sub specialize find a clinical heavy fellowship. If you want PP maybe do an MIS spine fellowship and you’ll be just fine.
Can you transfer at another program to finish chief year there?
Not without repeating some time.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)