Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
re-applicant chances
I got 15+ interviews last year, this year only 4. ( idk if signaling has anything to do with it in addition to being a reapplicant). Doing a pre-lim year right now ( no neurosurgery program). dont think i will match again. what should I do? just pursue gen surg? IR? i really want to be a neurosurgeon. any reapplicants want to share their success stories?
Obviously the odds aren’t great and it’ll depend why you didn’t match the first time. Some people are great but don’t interview well because they’re shy, not the best conversationalist, and come across as a little bland during a bunch of 15m interviews so you get kind of forgotten about on rank lists but on paper are a great applicant. If that’s the case for you, give it another go.

If there’s red flags, poor applicant based on numbers/CV, , or you have a personality issue, then it’s a different story but you probably already know which camp you fall into. Good luck!
Why are you doing pre-lim at a place with no neurosurgery program? Doesn't make sense to me.
3rd time chances are very low. Gen surg (or neuro-otology if you still want to come at skull base) might be best.
Just do rads and go into neuro IR. Easy residency, similar pathology, 100% procedural. Way less headache.
How does income compare between the two? Does neuro IR get paid similar to neurosurgery?
Probably a better bet if you want vascular to do neurology and be dual trained in stroke neurology and endovascular… big market for them
(03-09-2023, 11:48 AM)Guest Wrote: How does income compare between the two? Does neuro IR get paid similar to neurosurgery?

Rads trained Neuro IR guy at my institution makes more than the dual trained guy CV surgeon, but he takes way more stroke call/generates more RVUs. Probably nothing more lucrative than doing PP spine surgery though.
Who else regrets not doing ortho? I would've been done by now in private practice spine instead of going through a grueling neurosurgery residency.
OP only care about money, PD's probably saw that.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)