Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
scared of being incompetent resident
current med student with interest and pretty strong CV. haven't done subI's yet but assuming I do well, I think I'll have a good shot at matching. 

is there a lot of variation with regard to anatomy and visualization of structures in neurosurgery? I've been told technical skills and manual dexterity can be learned, however, i'm afraid my spatial intelligence may be below average and may hold me back in training. I'm less afraid of the hours in residency and more afraid of getting fired despite my best efforts to improve. 

I did fine in my classes but always struggled a bit with visualizing in pre-clin (radiology, histo, some gross anatomy). have always been bad at drawing, art, etc.
As long as you recognize it as a weakness and work on it, I would expect you will be fine.
Everyone has a weakness in every profession known to man. You just have to work at it. I've heard stories of Spetzler spending hours upon hours in the cadaver lab.
Residents far more often get fired for doing stupid stuff like sleeping with nurses, being disrespectful and arrogant towards staff/other residents, and lying about patients.

Be honest, work hard, and show a good attitude and people will give you the opportunity to improve.
^^ you have to be careful around these nurses and staff. I've heard of many cases where female staff willingly slept with male residents and then accused them of harassments and worse. The male residents are promptly fired and carriers ruined. Because of Obama's Title IX, all you need is "more likely than not" that it happened, so these institutions will destroy you without any qualms.

If you are a male, you better be careful.
I'm an academic skull base neurosurgeon and can barely draw a stick figure. You'll be fine.
(03-11-2023, 08:27 PM)Guest Wrote: ^^ you have to be careful around these nurses and staff. I've heard of many cases where female staff willingly slept with male residents and then accused them of harassments and worse. The male residents are promptly fired and carriers ruined. Because of Obama's Title IX, all you need is "more likely than not" that it happened, so these institutions will destroy you without any qualms.

If you are a male, you better be careful.

High yield

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)