Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virtual summer research?
Also, I was just wondering, is this a negative sign? Does this mean he doesn't want me to get too involved in his research?
Nothing wrong with starting you on a review paper. If it doesn't seem like a huge timesink, I would do it and maybe ask if you can involve other students to facilitate the process. It's also a good way to understand the literature before you dive into original studies.

Are you the M1 that was cold emailing PI's outside of your institution? If you're not affiliated with the uni or a formal research program to work with the PI, that is another reason why you may not be able to join the lab immediately.
^^ Oh ok thank you for that information.

Yes I am him lol. I just emailed a bunch of PIs. Two replied. This one and another one. The other one said I can work in-person over the summer, then remotely after.

I am not sure how to proceed. I don't want to move ahead with both and drop one, as that is mean.
(03-14-2023, 10:16 AM)Guest Wrote: Lol at "arrogant" students. I could make the same argument about "arrogant" attendings who think that med students have to be worthy for a real project. This is the problem with old geezer attendings on this forum who had it easy in med school. Today's game is far different.

Maybe it's arrogance but I believe it is pragmatism. I have a limited amount of time that I have to use to the best of my judgment. Untested students get low risk, low reward projects to learn from. Proven students get better projects and more facetime mentorship. The very best I try to hire as residents. I have more good students than I do good projects. The game changes but the players don't.
^^ I was just wondering focus, what is your view on entirely remote work? Is it worth it?
(03-14-2023, 05:08 PM)Guest Wrote: ^^ I was just wondering focus, what is your view on entirely remote work? Is it worth it?

I spent my first summer doing chart reviews from Mexico. If you have secure access to the charts online no reason it needs to be in person. Just depends what you want to do research wise.
^^ Thank you so much for that information Focus. I guess I will do it then. He's an attending at a well-respected NS program so that's the reason I want to go with him actually.

My goal is to do good and then match into the program, thank you again.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)