Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre-residency Fellowship
Hello, 

Hope everyone is doing well.

Does anyone have a list of all the places that offer pre-residency fellowship positions in neurosurgery?

Thanks
Mayo, Mt. Saini, Temple are 3 ones that I think have gotten decent outcomes. Good luck.
Miami, Iowa. Iowa pre residency fellow matched this year
University of New Mexico has a pre-residency fellowship as well. The gained their ACGME accreditation.
How did the guy who left barrow get into UNM? I heard a while back that they couldn’t backfill?!
UNM? Back on?
Lahey has a pre-residency fellowship. Here is a recent description of the program:

Lahey Pre-residency Fellowship

The Lahey pre-residency fellowship has a long history of successfully matching applicants into neurosurgery residency programs. At Lahey, pre-residency fellows are integral members of the neurosurgical and neurocritical care teams. In this year-long program, pre-residency fellows will be trained to function as junior neurosurgery residents, including performing bedside neurosurgical procedures. Duties include managing floor and ICU patients, seeing consults, home-call during the night, and assisting in the operating room and outpatient clinic.

The pre-residency fellows at Lahey work alongside six neurosurgeons, neuro intensive care neurologists, and neurosurgery advanced practitioners. Fellows will participate in weekly neurosurgical conferences at Lahey, which include morbidity and mortality conference, spine conference, tumor board and pathology review. The Lahey pre-residency fellowship is also affiliated with Tufts University, and fellows can join the Tufts Department of Neurosurgery for didactic sessions on Thursdays.

The Lahey Department of Neurosurgery has multiple ongoing clinical research studies and robust research infrastructure. Pre-residency fellows will have opportunities to engage in these research endeavors, and in the past, such efforts have resulted in podium presentations and first author manuscripts early in the clinical year.

Accepted candidates must commit to the full year. The salary, benefits, days off, and vacation time with be commensurate with other PGY1 accredited neurosurgical program.

How to Apply Please email your CV and cover letter to Julie Witham (Julie.m.witham@lahey.org) Neurosurgery Pre-Residency Fellowship Coordinator. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and employment offers are typically made after the residency match
Lahey fully matched one pre-residency fellow this year, and the other partially matched in prelim nsgy/gen surg combo. I believe they've matched prior years as well.
How succesful is the Lahey fellowship for getting into neurosurgery? Grad record?
For those of you looking for a pre residency position I would add this for you, which has been said on here many times. These places with PRF's are looking for cheep labor with the vague promise of maybe matching someone into a US residency, not necessarily neurosurgery, but MAYBE a spot. Most PRF's never match and end up in a place where they get so far from medical school no places will take them. I've been seeing this since I was a student and has persisted well into my time as staff. In my opinion. you would be better off trying to get into a transition year or preliminary year to at least get a credited year of training that can go towards finding a spot in surgery, medicine, IM, FM, or any other openings for a PGY-2.

I hate seeing people be screwed around for a promise that doesn't exist. Most will not match despite what everyone might say. like everyone else on here and for that fact in academic medicine, are all in it for themselves. You should all do the same and take care of yourselves. The hospitals and departments can afford to hire APP's to do the work, but these people get PRF"s to do even more, for less and work them excessively. Just be careful.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)