Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NS Match becoming easier (Proof)
So I was looking at the NS Match results for this year, and I came away with a positive conclusion: It is becoming easier to match, and this trend will continue for NS (I'm a 1st year). 

Why?

Simple: People are underestimating the cultural shift. Work/life balance is all the rage with today's young. Nowadays young people want to enjoy life and have good experiences. On social media, they are all posting how they did this and that. I have seen solid candidates (research, personality, academics, etc) go into FM, EM, and IM just for the lifestyle and lack of stress. 

You are beginning to see this at top schools also (I go to a shit-tier school, but I have spent the past few days looking through match results on social media and elsewhere). 

Also: Look at today's culture regarding "silent quitting", where you basically do the bare minimum. So this is a cultural thing and of course kids in med school and hardly immune. Basically, they want a life outside of work. 

Also: The young nowadays value experiences (travel, food, concerts, etc) as opposed to job success. So in the olden days, you'd derive satisfaction from your accomplishments, nowadays its all about the things you've done outside work. 

Also: Look at the matches at top programs (MGH, Barrow, USCF, etc). The kids who match their by and large come from lower-tier schools. 

Also: I know that the # of research publications is increasing. However, this is due to it being easier to publish nowadays (online databases, more online journals, more data tools, easier to use tools, etc). Of course, AI is going to make it even easier to publish, so naturally you'll see the # of publications increasing. 

So basically, if you put in X time, you'll get a 20 now. And in the olden days, if you put in X, you'll get a 5. So naturally, you'll get more 18, 19 and 20s nowadays. 

Also: Step scores as increasing. But this is because of it being easier to study nowadays, with Anking, BNB, Sketchy, etc. So same as above, dosen't mean kids are getting smarter. 

Also: Smartest kids nowadays go into finance and silicon valley, where they can make real money and make a real difference. Nowadays, you are just slaves for admin and insurance companies basically as a dr. 

So basically, matching into NS is getting easier and easier.
OK boomer.
MS1. Shit tier school. Keep coping man.
Not for awkward DO kids.
Honestly, if you can get at least a 240 on step 2 and pair it with 15+ pubs, you'll match somewhere regardless of the tier of your med school. It's much easier to match neurosurgery than it is to match into ortho for example.
If you think it's easy to make $$$ in Silicon Valley these days you have not been following the news. The increase in interest rates has dried up VC money for new startups, stressed the banks for mid-stage startups (SVB anyone?) and sparked layoffs in established companies.
Most of the layoffs are to people in side jobs like recruiters, social media people, media relations and other deadweights.

If you work 12 hrs a day, 7 days a week for 11 years--which is sort of what you do to become a NS--you will likely earn a good salary.

Anyways, has anyone seen evidence to the contrary of OP?
Other than the fact that they are straw man arguments? Everyone is getting better at studying. Everyone is getting better at publishing therefore, these things do not prove it is getting easier to be a neurosurgeon. You have no actual evidence except for stating that it is so. Pull up charting the match and use some evidence as the basis of your arguments. I personally would say it is staying about the same.
Hard to say that people are getting better at studying. Are there better resources now than before? However, the attention span, ability to deeply focus, and ability persevere may have decreased. Simply look how people communicated in the the early to mid 20th century compared to know and you'll notice a drastic difference between writing abilities and reading comprehension.

Additionally, even if everyone is getting better at studying, the net effect cancels out anyways.

*Are there better resources now than before? Absolutely

*now. Sorry, I'm tired. Service has been crazy.
Less applicants and 3 spots were unfilled. Objectively less competitive now.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)