Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 1.29 Average
Here’s the deal with Stanford (AMA)
Thank you for this.

What is the #1 thing that Stanford looks for in an applicant? Can good research and LORs from well-known NS compensate for low-tier and poor initial academic performance? Thank you
They look for brand name MD schools first and foremost. If you're not t10 MD don't bother
(03-23-2023, 04:31 PM)Guest Wrote: Thank you for this.

What is the #1 thing that Stanford looks for in an applicant? Can good research and LORs from well-known NS compensate for low-tier and poor initial academic performance? Thank you

Great research and standout letters from connected people will certainly get you looked at closely at any program. The research component really goes a long way at Stanford.
^^ Would it compensate?? I looked at the residents and all are from T10, so I guess the answer is no. Howcome everyone is from T10???
Stanford’s program director quit last year. The new team were probably too inexperienced to figure out how to recruit. Stanford will be okay
^Even more alarming. OP admitted they've been complacent for a while now. Why would the PD quit if the program was so good?
Mummaneni to Stanford! Confirmed
Thanks for the info, op! Does Stanford NSG care more about the quality or quantity of research?
Why is everyone from the T10?

The same reason that the top law and investment firms only hire from the Ivy League. Do you think Stanford wants a scrub from an osteopathic school (a used Toyota Corolla) or an HMS or UCSF grad (a Lamborghini Aventador).
What about the occasional superstar born from the mid tier schools? Guys like Wilson and Al Mefti came from medicore programs and ended up top surgeons of their era. Surely Stanford has seen (and passed) on several over the years in favor of their t10 matches. Looks like elitism to me

(03-23-2023, 06:11 PM)Guest Wrote: Why is everyone from the T10?

The same reason that the top law and investment firms only hire from the Ivy League. Do you think Stanford wants a scrub from an osteopathic school (a used Toyota Corolla) or an HMS or UCSF grad (a Lamborghini Aventador).

UCSF's 10th percentile MCAT is 508... Are you really telling me, especially for the speciality that has selected based on high step scores more than any other, that you'd want a 508 from UCSF at your program over a 522 coming out of a mid tier?