Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 1.29 Average
Here’s the deal with Stanford (AMA)
PD quit last year because he took a chair job at Duke lol had nothing to do with Stanford. I'm sure he just wanted to be chair at some point and once Stanford hired Lim (most places tend to look outside their program for new chairs) I bet he started looking for a chair position elsewhere.
1. No one cares about MCAT scores for residency admissions. Also, you’re cherry picking the 10th percentile, so there’s that. If they do well on Step, that is all that matters. From looking at the step scores published on Reddit, UCSF’s Step scores are pretty much identical to the rest of the top schools.
2. Someone with a 522 would likely not end up at mid tier in the first place.
3. Elitism is a product of capitalism. Get used to it.
4. Residency match process is a lot like the NBA draft. You’ll get the occasional Manu Ginobli who was a low draft pick that ends up great. However, the students from the T10 schools will be selected first in the draft
So is matching to Stanford like hoping to be drafted to the Golden State Warriors, but instead you get drafted to the Sacramento Kings?
Pretty much. Stanford is the 4th best California program for neurosurgery, so it goes like this

UCSF= Los Angeles Lakers
UCLA= Golden State Warriors
USC= Sacramento Kings
Stanford= Los Angeles Clippers

You could almost the argument that Stanford is essentially the 21st century equivalent of the Dallas Cowboys or New York Knicks. A once great program shadowed by its former glory and now living in the past.
So you mean to propose that the ~19 students with an MCAT of <508 all tightened up and blew step out of the water? So, then could you go to UCSF's match list and point out where those former <508 MCAT kids matched? No, you couldn't. Obviously the school name helped in matching big time
who gives a shit about all of this...no one cares where you did residency.
Why are you obsessing over the 10th percentile? You’re assuming that of the 4 or 5 UCSF students that apply to neurosurgery, that they all had a 508. The kids who had a 508 statistically speaking probably didn’t even apply neurosurgery.

Also, of course the school name helped. It’s a T5 medical school that probably didn’t even consider you.
UCSF= Los Angeles Lakers
UCLA= Golden State Warriors
USC= Sacramento Kings
Stanford= Los Angeles Clippers

What about Davis, Irvine, Loma Linda, Riverside, UCSD?
G league /Shanghai Sharks.
To OP: How many hours do you work a week? I heard Stanford markets itself as a cush Ivy program, but then overworks its residents real bad. 

Also, I've read an article in the NYT that talks about Stanford's Admin being super bureaucratic and difficult. A lot of professors even in computer science and engineering are leaving, and taking with them top students. So it seems like a lot of Stanford departments are in decline because of poor admin. So the decline of Stanford NS is just part of a larger deterioration.