Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paternity/Maternity Leave
Curious how does your program handle paternity and maternity leave? With the new ACGME rule, residents are allowed to take up to 6 weeks of paid paternity leave if residents have enough PTO in their banks. 

- What about maternity leave?
- What about faculty, do institutions give paid paternity/maternity leave for faculty outside vacation time?
paternal leave?? is it because men can have babies too?? lol

Seems like nowadays no one wants to work.
No paternity leave, haven’t had maternity leave during my time because our female residents only had babies during research years.
Taking time off and now your co-residents have to pick up the slack? Shameful. Al-Mefti would never.
His son would though
^^ Is that really true?
Why wouldn’t Al Mefti jr?

What matters is your program’s interpretation of paternal leave. Is it 6 weeks total or per kid? Does it matter if different baby mamas? Residency is long enough to have multiple kids.
God bless that Al-Metfti's, man. So inspirational
I got to use one week of vacation time when my kids were born (PGY 2 and 5). This was regular vacation time, not extra, the only thing that was special was that I was able to take it starting the day my wife went into labor, normally we can only take vacation in blocks from Sunday-Friday. I was told I could take extra time off but that they would add it to the end of my residency.

Neurosurgery is far, far behind on this issue. Many programs say they are "family friendly", but there are no programs I'm aware of that will let you take 6 weeks (or any extended time) of paternity leave without adding it to the end of your residency. Note that this is generally not the case in other specialties. An ob-gyn neighbor of mine got 4 weeks of paternity leave for each of his kids, which he did not have to make up.

I think the only reason to extend residency should be if you don't have your case numbers. I would have far exceeded my minimums either way, but such is life.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)