Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morcos fellowship
how early do we have to apply for Morcos fellowship ? I hear more than 50 residents apply each year, is that true ? what does he look for ?
Easiest thing is to just ask directly in advance when to apply because it is definitely at least 2-3 years in advance and may be more like 3-4.
Fake news. Not sure 50 people even go into that subspecialty annually much less apply to his fellowship. Might be a valid number only if you are including international applicants in which case every fellowship in the country probably gets that many. This smells like astroturfing to me.
Apply June 2 years before the start date. He just filled 2025.
So it’s done? If he’s taking 2025 fellow he’s staying at Miami.
Most fellowships fill during your PGY5 year. Tumor is later. I've been told that this is due to a gentlemen's agreement between fellowship directors in my subspecialty, cannot speak to all of them though. I would not be surprised if one of the competitive vascular fellowhsips (like Lawton, Marcos, Day) did end up with 50+ applicants. The caveat, as mentioned above, is that most of those applicants are not finishing from US residencies and will therefore not be competitive.

Taking a fellow in the future does not mean anything about where that person will be in a couple of years. I've heard of people taking fellows and then retiring before they start. Accepting a fellowship can be a risky move depending on if you're tied to the person or the place. It is what it is. At the end of the day, if you're relying on fellowship to teach you more than a few next level techniques or specific domain knowledge, you're going to have a bad time.

What is he looking for? Same thing all fellowship directors are looking for - someone who will go out and make them look good legacy-wise. That gets you the interview and then a call from a big name in the field who he knows gets you the position.
he is leaving for houston fyi
Going to join Baylor I heard

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)