Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cringe Med Students on Twitter
I hardly use social media but recently visit the cesspool that is of twitter. What’s up with these medical students tweeting out to institutions and PDs how “excited” they are for their sub-I? Sounds incredibly sycophantic to me. They also tweet out their bs research article thinking that people are going to read their low effort article. Even saw one girl posting her third year clerkship grades. What ever happened to being humble? Concerning trend if you tell me.
They do it because it works.

A lot of these PDs are older men, and a lot of younger girls will post provocative pics as well, if you catch my drift. From talking to 3rd and 4th years, it has led to research and rotation opportunities and even good matches. This is more prevalent in derm, pnR and optho, according to what I have heard anyways.
^I would complain but that has been happening long long before our time. Only thing that changed is the mode of doing so. I am glad OP pointed this out. Indeed concerning behavior. Med students making their entire profile as some sort of advertising scheme, marketing themselves as a product.
Some PDs joke about them and even make racist comments.
^Can you elaborate?
Maybe some PD's joke, but the vast majority respond very approvingly. In a way these med students are only doing what works. On Instagram too, many female students post very revealing pics and then will DM PD's, responses are often very positive. If PD's didn't respond, they wouldn't do it. Also, nowadays with the elimination of objective measures like grades/step, PDs have far more leeway.

Obviously, if you speak up against this, you will be labeled sexist/bigoted/anti-woke etc.
So many “aspiring neurosurgeons” on Twitter. So much humble brag. Look at Lola Chambless, doesn’t miss a chance to remind you she’s a neurosurgeon. While CNS leadership is whack. It’s really degrading for everyone.
My man Ed Chang is the goat. Doesn’t have a twitter. Chair of the best program in the country in his 40s. Quietly publishes papers in Science and Nature. Research has an actual real impact on his patients compared to the other shit you see from our colleagues. Never gloats. Just an immigrant that is the pure product of merit.

May the neurosurgery gods bless him. We should all aspire to be like him.
Agree^
Future Ed Chang's are discriminated against because of race and sex.

Also, I just read Chambless's twitter and was shocked by the racism and sexism.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)