Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BS/MD Students in Neurosurgery
Any former BS/MD students in neurosurgical residency or practice? Or are now medical students considering a career in neurosurgery? Any recommendations on exploring neurosurgery beyond shadowing as an undergraduate?
(08-04-2017, 04:40 PM)Guest Wrote: Any former BS/MD students in neurosurgical residency or practice? Or are now medical students considering a career in neurosurgery? Any recommendations on exploring neurosurgery beyond shadowing as an undergraduate?

I know of a few that have done 6-7 year programs. Wouldn't even say you need to be exposed to neurosurgery as an undergrad. Set a solid foundation in research before medical school. The majority of accelerated/guaranteed med program students that I'm acquainted with did not do research because they didn't have to do extracurricular activities to matriculate. This lead to some problems finding or doing research in med school.
(08-04-2017, 08:13 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-04-2017, 04:40 PM)Guest Wrote: Any former BS/MD students in neurosurgical residency or practice? Or are now medical students considering a career in neurosurgery? Any recommendations on exploring neurosurgery beyond shadowing as an undergraduate?

I know of a few that have done 6-7 year programs. Wouldn't even say you need to be exposed to neurosurgery as an undergrad. Set a solid foundation in research before medical school. The majority of accelerated/guaranteed med program students that I'm acquainted with did not do research because they didn't have to do extracurricular activities to matriculate. This lead to some problems finding or doing research in med school.

Thank you for your helpful response. Would you recommend getting involved with a neurosurgery-related basic science project or clinical project? I know basic science is generally more time consuming but often higher impact, but would undergraduate research be worthy of including on residency apps if I ultimately decided to pursue neurosurgery?
(08-04-2017, 11:42 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-04-2017, 08:13 PM)Guest Wrote:

Thank you for your helpful response. Would you recommend getting involved with a neurosurgery-related basic science project or clinical project? I know basic science is generally more time consuming but often higher impact, but would undergraduate research be worthy of including on residency apps if I ultimately decided to pursue neurosurgery?

Yes you can put undergrad research on your residency app even if it is not in the field you are going into but you are obviously still expected to do research in medical school. Basic science vs. clinical isn't important at an undergrad level and neurosurgical research isn't essential to do as an undergrad. Get involved in a project you find interesting with a good PI who will provide you with active mentoring. If you can find a good PI in a neurosurgery department who is willing to get you involved in a project as an undergrad outside the scope of washing plates then go for it.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)