Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
M3: How Behind Am I? Advice?
Question 
Sup everyone. Hope your weekends are going well. 
I’m a week into third year at a MD school in a big city. First in my family/ circle to do academics. Wanted some insight into how I’m doing and how I can improve. I feel like I’m behind relative to some of the other folks at my I situation so I’d like a genuine assessment and steps to improve (I.e you should have X many papers by Y time, prioritize sub-Is, etc)

No pubs, on 4 projects (2 first author, a 2nd, a 4th), 1 oral presentation. 
Planning on a research year next year, hopefully at my home institution. 

Please advise ! Appreciate it! 
Can provide other details if needed. Hard to gage where I’m “supposed” to be at. Not sure who I should be asking.
Join a collaborative group with a good reputation for publishing papers. Be aware of predatory institutions/labs that only want to use you and don't care about your career. Find an outstanding mentor.
What do you mean by "projects" Do you mean posters?
Write 10 review articles, 20 letter to the editors, and 10 commentaries during your gap year. Definitely feasible.
^not even close. Make connections. Be strategic. Residency now fills positions like fellowships, 2-4 years in advance.
^Maybe if you go to shit-tier med school you have to do a bit of sucking up. However, us T5 chads have the residencies come to us.
Yeah. It doesn’t matter if you are a dumb mtf in a top tier medschool (you somehow did it). You’ll make it to residency. There’s even a paper about it.

LOL! Also if daddy or mommy is a close friend of the PD. Bingo!
You are completely fucked.
No amount of "networking" is going to get the kid from CSU ButtRidge ahead of the kid from a T5 school, let alone a T10.
Network with Dr. rolle and he’ll slap you on some projects and get you a spot at MGH

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)