Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expected progression of knowledge in residency
Just finished Step 2 and doing a little studying before sub-Is so I don’t have so I know at least something. Honestly, it’s like starting at MS1 all over again, I feel like other than the anatomy/physiology and a few common disease processes (hemorrhages, stroke, etc), I have no real understanding. 

What’s the expected progression of knowledge and how do you avoid killing patients? I feel inclined to use the rest of M4 studying Greenberg so that I don’t go into intern year completely clueless, but not sure what’s expected of interns or how much residents have to study to outside the hospital to stay afloat (and how that changes by year). Maybe some residents can chime in on this.
No harm in reading but it is difficult to prepare for junior residency because the things that are most important are practical knowledge. No one's going to shout "quick, this patients dying does anyone know the most common type of craniosynostosis?" The knowledge you are going to most use is more like how do you order DIC labs and which sequence of a dwi read shows an abscess and how long do your attendings put cranis on keppra. Since these things are often very hospital specific. You can glean some of that from self made resources called resident manuals that programs often circulate to bew residents.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)