Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Autonomy/Operative Heavy Programs
The only program left with true good autonomy is Barrow
And Baylor
Muh Alabama, muh autonomy.
Shreveport. Residents do the entire case +/- junior resident or medical student.
Emory
LSU stinks. If you want to develop depression go to Shreveport
OP here -- thanks for the advice, that's the goal.

To answer your question, one is considered "T20" while the other is not but is still supposedly great clinically. I'm not sure why ranking really matters here since I think the general census is that the rankings don't mean a whole lot in terms of producing clinically sound neurosurgeons, with a few notable exceptions (BNI, etc.)
Outrageous that people think its perfectly ok to mess up and injur someone just because he is an illegal immigrant and poor. How would you like it if someone paralyzed you just for practice? Residents should practice on cadavers.
Are you actually retarded? I don’t think you know how to read, no one here said anything about hurting someone. I don’t even know if there was a comment about illegal immigrants. The discussion is about learning to operate and build confidence. You don’t have to injure people to do that. You have to have attendings who are willing to actually teach and let you be part of the operative decision making — ultimately they have the final say and keep the patient safe, but they involve you and help you learn.

Seriously, it’s astonishing to see people in neurosurgery can’t read, hope you’re a premed and not someone who will actually be in a position to hurt a patient.
Make sure you go somewhere with a VA rotation, since the government does not mandate that the attending be present for the case. The VA also has simpler cases and a good tradition of letting residents be junior attendings.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)