Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The truth about post-grad research fellowships
Good day. 

I have been reading here with significant interest some assumptions regarding post-medical school research fellowships. These positions are sometimes offered at high-ranking institutes and generally attract top international graduates. Perhaps because of the demographic of the applicants, there has been speculation here and elsewhere that such programs are exploitative in nature. 

However, as someone who is acquainted with several such fellows and who has spent some time researching this, I do feel that these assumptions are grossly misplaced. Those who do these programs are from third-world, "shithole" countries where the standard of living in the USA is much higher. They often are working in wards for $100 or so a month in their native countries; here, they are offered a salary well above the American median, quality health insurance, unlimited academic resources, and of course all the opportunities that this great country affords its citizens. Furthermore, being post-med school grads, these individuals are offered "fast track" for a green card and citizenship. This, onto itself, is worth millions. 

Furthermore, these people--again, remember, from third-world "shitholes"--are given direct access to top surgeons, clinicians and researchers in their given field. Such ready access to top connections would be unthinkable in their native lands. They get the opportunity to learn from the best, to associate with great institutes, and to build up connections that most ordinary Americans can only dream of--and that most third-worlders can't even dream of. 

And lets not forget all the learning that occurs in such environments. Mentors--again, top guys in the field--spend significant amount of time teaching these people (and remember, most come from horrid institutions). This is all invaluable for future success. 

Now of course, folks here--most of whom, I should note, are abject failures at life, are part of the loser crowd--will point out that these research fellowship positions more often than not don't eventually match into physician positions. However, this view is myopic and ignorant--which is to be expected form the losers who occupy these internet spaces. 

Indeed, this focus on physician positions completely ignores the other 90% of the American economy. Many of these research fellows go into prestigious positions in finance, law, pharma, consulting, industry and academia. Indeed, credentials and training from top institutes are precisely what top financial and consulting firms are looking for. I have also seen many such fellows enroll into PhD programs at top universities, and then parlay that into successful careers that most of you imbeciles haven't even heard of. May I point out: many of these research fellows you deride for not matching will eventually outearn you (I only mention outearn, because money is the only thing most of you can comprehend). 

Of course, there are research fellows who squander this opportunity and end up failures and losers. But surely, it is their own fault? They are set up for success, but if they don't make use of it, who is to blame but themselves? Surely one cannot blame the system. (Of course, you blame others for your own failure... but is your world view really correct?)

The fact is, America is the land of opportunity. Every day, folks come here with nothing--not even the ability to read--and make million-dollar careers. These research fellows are given a solid salary, unlimited opportunity, the world's best education, top connections not even money can buy, and of course, citizenship to the USA. 

This demonizing of these positions only reveals your own ignorance, your own limited viewpoint, your own mental limitations. Simply put, these positions are springboards for success in the world's greatest nation.
You call us abject failures, yet here you are posting a 9 paragraph essay on a Saturday.

Also, I go to a top 5 med school. I'm such a failure.
This sounds like a third rate fellow trying to justify wasting their time in one of these scams. All the "career boosting" nonsense you say would hold merit, if 99% of these programs did not solely recruit people by promising to help them match into residency.
Awkward South Asian DO student is back with a new rant.
Idk man, maybe you should include some examples of these insanely successful people. I understand your concern for IMGs and some of the conditions they came from in their home country, but please provide some evidence for these outlandish claims. These fellowships are not typically the path to the land of milk and honey like you suggest.
Why don’t programs see applicants from these programs as good?
This person is entirely wrong and seems like they are trying to justify their exploitative culture. First of all, let us know your program. Then, we can argue.

A few mishaps in their description:
-The culture of a department/program/lab could mismatch the institution's policy.
-There might be highly reputable places outside the US but clearly they are not Ivy Leagues. Even if they are so poor, they are not entirely picked on their hardworking nature but on having a NECESSITY to thrive professionally. This is what leads to many horrendous ways to keep them working, keeping them with a false promises and overwhelming them with lies.
-99% of researches come in a non-immigrant visa, which makes them not elegible for US citizenship.
I know 4 people who got fired or left previous residencies use a fellowship as it as a stepping stone to build new references. Having positive support from a new program can shine a new light for some, especially given the 4 people I know had unfair situations happen (which seems to be a common trend in neurosurgery- politics/being liked/etc).

Obviously if a fellowship is willing to take someone “damaged goods” and give them the responsibility of taking care of patients, then they can see through what happened at their previous program. If someone was truly a risk a fellowship would never risk someone touching a patient.

I know a program trying to fire a resident, no one really likes the person, but am confident they would make a great neurosurgeon if given the right environment. The current environment coresidnts are bullying the person and giving the pager more, and scrutinizing on things other residents don’t get in trouble for. All just because the guy is “not one of the cool people”.
This positions ought to be seen analogous to post-doc positions, which PhD's do after graduating. So I personally have seen Post-Docs squander their opportunities by being lazy, not developing their interpersonal skills, not developing connections, etc. At the same time, I've seen guys use the freedom and resources of a post-doc to develop connections, develop industry contacts, take more advanced classes and earn advanced degrees etc. As you might imagine, these latter ones end up in coveted positions in industry, finance, academia etc.

Also, keep in mind that most research fellowships offer free or heavily subsidized education opportunities. For instance, at many places, you can get a MBA for free basically when doing these fellowships. I've seen guys get other degrees too--again for free. This, by itself, is very big. I've also seen guys enroll into law school after a fellowship and then parlay their skills into the lucrative world of patent law.

Of course, if you just go in with this entitled mentality everyone here has, you might be disappointed. PD's are usually very upfront about the slim chance of matching, but for sure, the decent ones encourage their mentees to look into other opportunities--and mind you, such opportunities are bountiful. Furthermore, such fellows benefit from the various resources top academic centers have.

Also, many people here grossly underestimate the lack of resources that these third-world people have in their home countries. It is very hard to fathom the poverty until you have seen it first-hand. So just coming here is a big thing. Many places help with Visa and immigration, and immigrating into this nation becomes much easier.

These positions will give you the opportunity for sure. The better ones will set you up for success. But ultimately its up to you. You may not be able to make it into a neurosurgery position at UCSF/MGH/Mayo, but for sure if you play your cards right you can end up an "American success story."
The deceptive part is that you’re calling it a “postgrad research fellowship”. Nearly every program calls them preresidency fellowships, because that’s the supposed promise — to be a prequel to a residency position.

Essentially what you’re suggesting is that these might be a pipeline for IMGs to get there foot in the door in America. Sure, I don’t agree, but I do agree that there are many creative/hard working individuals that can make the most of any situation. But that’s not the intention of these programs and many many of them are being used for cheap labor under the pretense of a future residency position. It has nothing to do with entitlement, it has everything to do with how these programs advertise themselves and how applicants are tricked into false hope.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)