Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Research Year or Not?
Current M4 about to start sub-Is. I've struggled with whether or not to do a research year. Academically I feel comfortable -- honored most rotations, 260's on Step 2, etc. But I have ~10 research items and frankly, they are very overwhelming. Most are case reports, oral presentations, or weak retrospective studies.

The advice I've gotten from the director at my home program is that he thinks I'll be fine matching. However, it's a pretty bottom-barrel program and honestly, I don't want to do residency here or at another program as I haven't been at all impressed with what I've seen. Poor research opportunities/a research year that is basically spent just providing coverage, poor collegiality among residents, etc. At the end of the day you get to do neurosurgery but going to somewhere like this, I guess I just don't see myself having any other option than being a general neurosurgeon in the community. When it comes time to make decisions about fellowship/academic vs. pp, I want to have options/connections.

If I were to take a research year, I feel I could be productive because since I got serious about neurosurgery (beginning of M3), I've done pretty well with the opportunities I've had. I would intend to do it at a program with research already going on so I could (hopefully) just jump on existing projects instead of having to start from scratch.
Quote:But I have ~10 research items and frankly, they are very overwhelming. Most are case reports, oral presentations, or weak retrospective studies.

Case reports and oral presentations are very overwhelming for you?
Be grateful to match anywhere. You have the objective criteria to match. Everything else is subjective and based on connections, whatever that means. Connections are just buddies being like I know this dude, he can do work and is likable, take him.
Lol sorry I meant underwhelming
I've personally met MD-PhD's on Sub-I's who later did not match at ANY program with 40+ publications. If you were told you have a shot applying this year, just go for it because adding on more research with the hopes of matching at a better program does NOT guarantee anything and subtracts a year from your working career.
I've met residents with 0 publications who matched. Though they were well rounded in other aspects of their life. Some programs put different emphasis on research.
No, not necessary
Most programs are what you make of them, and matching anywhere is generally preferable to any situation where you add uncertainty about getting into residency.

Keep in mind, no matter what you do in a research year, your research won’t come close to anyone with MD-PhD, and they all think they’re smart enough for UCSF.

I’d say if you’re coming from a lower tier school and your application is good but not great, match where you can and work on getting a good fellowship if you find you need an academic pedigree.
Funny thing about those MD-PhDs is that close to 90 percent don't do jack shit in terms of research as a resident and over 95 percent don't end up running a lab in the future.

If you don't believe me, just look at the 4 profiles of the UCSF MD-PhD residents (excluding the incoming interns). I can offer even more evidence from other institutions if needed.

Best neurosurgeon-scientist at UCSF is Ed Chang, who's not even a MD-PhD.
What do you mean? What did they have to stand out from the rest?

(06-25-2023, 04:34 PM)Guest Wrote: I've met residents with 0 publications who matched. Though they were well rounded in other aspects of their life. Some programs put different emphasis on research.

What do you mean? What did they have to stand out from the rest?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)