Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MSPE Adjectives
So sounds like you’re in the 2nd quartile… some programs may care, many will not give a flying fuck, especially if your LOR and Step are great
(07-16-2023, 02:44 PM)Guest Wrote: I understand. Let me reword my original post. Im not rock-bottom in terms of quartile. Im talking like 80th percentile-ish. Just so happens the adjectives have a cutoff right where Im at.
My primary reasoning for subpar pre-clinical grades would be research. Did a fair amount of research during preclinical which led to 20+ publications (zero case reports).

Not an excuse. I got 30+ publications and destroyed my preclinicals. I go to a T5 too. Don't make excuses. Otherwise, go to psychiatry.
^This is most likely an IMG that hasn’t matched after two attempts projecting. Quite sad really
^Cope harder. Lots of people have 30+ pubs, to go T5, and crush pre-clinical, clinicals, Steps and evals.
You're either very insecure then or just a liar. All the productive people who actually have those stats don't sit on here spamming every thread with that crap. Either gain some self esteem or keep preparing for your 3rd ERAS cycle closeted IMG
Definitely an IMG who failed to multiple cycles. Why shit on other specialties?

Can definitely tell the shitty personality bled through into interviews
Lol. Making a comment on this forum takes 5 seconds and also you're on this same forum as me, so what does that say about you?

Some of you are so insecure that you can't believe that there are T5 students with 30+ pubs. I'm an M3 not an IM. I have great interview skills. That's why I am at a T5 and you're not. Keep coping though by saying I'm an IMG. I'll crush you in the application cycle, residency, and beyond.
^Is your entire personality "I go to a T5"?
I've seen T10 kids with 30+ publications, 270+, solid interpersonal skills and solid evals. They work with NS's with deep connections too. Hard to compete with these guys.
"My primary reasoning for subpar pre-clinical grades would be research. Did a fair amount of research during preclinical which led to 20+ publications (zero case reports)."

Sorry this is not a reason. If anything, it shows an inability to prioritize. You knew academics would be an important part of the application and you neglected it to get "20+" publications. Despite what this forum makes you think, you don't need anywhere near 20 publications to match in neurosurgery. Focus posted the actual stats recently. The numbers are more like 3-5.

You would have been much better off getting 5 publications with a couple of them as first author and getting good grades. As a medical student your job is medical school. The research and extra curriculars are all based on assuming you did your primary job well. When you are a resident. Your job is taking care of patients and learning how to do surgery. You are still expected to do research, but your have to prioritize your primary job first.

That being said, 80th percentile is not that bad actually and it isn't low enough to keep you out of neurosurgery. There are studies that have been done across all specialties and the MSPE is one of the least important factors to programs. Partially because of the subjective nature of it, different schools have different criteria, and because schools allow students to edit it to varying degrees.

I'm a mid level resident, as far as I know, none of my coresidents even look at the MSPE and I doubt my attendings to either. The letters of rec are much more important.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)