Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MSPE Adjectives
^Boom, roasted! I'd rather die a legend at UCSF or MGH than work as another forgotten private practice surgeon.
^ "It is better to live one day as a lion than 100 years as a sheep." -- Benito Mussolini
Lol, what bullshit. Without a search engine, name the top 10 faculty from the most recent 20 years of either UCSF or MGH. Kind of hard after the first 3-5 isn’t it?
Myron Rolle
Quote:Lol, what bullshit. Without a search engine, name the top 10 faculty from the most recent 20 years of either UCSF or MGH. Kind of hard after the first 3-5 isn’t it?

This is the common game that the Loser with play. The Loser will say, "Name 5 Nobel prize winners in physics. You can't? See! Nobel prizes don't matter!" 

The Loser will say this to make himself feel better: "See! It doesn't matter if you accomplished a lot! What matters are the people you made friends with" and bullshit like that. The Loser will console himself with his "friends" and "kindness." Through these glib remarks, the Loser implicitly demonizes human accomplishment in order to console himself over his own lack of accomplishment. 

I remember, my teacher in high school would say the same nonsense. "See! You can't name a single MIT or Harvard mathematician, but you can name me! See! I am so important!" this high school math teacher would say.

Back then, I actually agreed with him. But now I realize, it is a very sad game of self delusion and cope.
Myron Rolle
Lol bro, losers tell themselves accomplishment is the number of papers they write. Losers would happily jump on 100k per year contracts from MGH for Q2 call so they can be MGH neurosurgeon. Losers must tell themselves this to justify being cuckolded in exchange for late nights revising proposals for a K award or taking shit cases from the important surgeons in hopes of getting goodwill and a better deal later.

Winners realize this is a shit deal and won’t take it.
^^ The gentleman here is coping like nobody's business.

MGH neurosurgeons don't make 100K, they earn much more, having fellows/residents to help + well-insured population. This myth that these academics earn 100K stems from confusing base with total salary.

Such neurosurgeons do earn less but that is generally because they chose to spend less time in OR. But that is a personal choice. A position like MGH also offers significant perks like med school/residency admission for your kids, which is actually worth millions. Not to mention the opportunity to mentor and do research. Many people want more from life than just money, believe it or not.

Or to put it another way, a MGH surgeon can easily have your job, but you can't have his.
Crazy how people completely discount PP here. Don’t plan on it myself, but what I think the “academics” here don’t get is that in PP your livelihood is based upon the quality of your work. You have to do good surgeries, form bonds with your local referring providers, and have good outcomes. At MGH you get fed by the institution and you can hide behind the name. Because if a patient gets messed up at MGH, well “they were at MGH so imagine how bad it would’ve been if they’d gone elsewhere.” True there are some real hacks that hide in PP, but some of the truly best technicians also exist in PP because that is where their skills are best compensated
After a few emails from your chairman saying that a junior resident complained that you didn't let them take out a brainstem tumor skin to skin you will look at PP jobs with kinder eyes.

To further clarify, some of the wage confusion comes from the fact that many academic surgeons have their clinical salary but have a second, much smaller salary from the university itself for the professorship, which you use as your salary when applying for grants.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)