Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Info on BWH
Hey guys, was just wondering if people could provide some input on BWH as a program for residents. How well does it prepare the residents for the various subspecialties in neurosurgery? How are the faculty mentors for the different sub-specialties and would you be set up strongly for a career in either academics or private practice if you go there? What are general thoughts on the culture, operative autonomy, and relative perception in relation to say a highly academic program like Penn, MGH versus more clinically-focused programs? Just trying to guage on which part of the spectrum it is with regards that question.
Below MGH/USCF/Mayo but above average for sure.

Folks here will say lack of autonomy etc. but that is just cope/jealousy.
Like a lot of places, competence varies from resident to resident and therefore so does autonomy. While there I saw a chief do an acoustic skin to skin and another who couldn't open a posterior c-spine. Faculty mentorship seemed quite good, as did the culture as a whole. Having a resident cover a case post call seemed to be considered a big ask, which was baffling to me but to each their own.
Welcome back UH
I wanted to bump this up again as I posted it right before the hub shut down for a bit
Out of the three harvard residencies, it’s by far the best. More total cases and autonomy.
MGH or bust

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)