Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UCLA vs. USC vs. Cedars
Lol I wouldn’t go into pathology or radiology right now. This AI stuff is getting really good at reading images and path slides… who knows how good it’ll be 10 years down the road
^ What an arrogant, ignorant, stupid comment. They do a lot more than just read slides, they are involved in consulting with physicians and patients. Indeed, pathologists and radiologists are the most important people in any healthcare system. In fact, they are likely to be the last ones replaced.
Path and rads are going down the same road pharmacists are currently on. Soon you will have a handful of radiologists and pathologists fact checking the reads of AI and signing them. Once the AI is fine tuned in a couple years you'll see a mass drop in hiring
Lol radiologists and patholgists consulting with people. Forgot how many booming clinics those services run. They’ll most likely be the first healthcare people replaced by AI with the small number of overseers ensuring accuracy. I’m just wondering if AI will also say the ole “cannot rule out XYZ please correlate clinically” line
Radiologists/pathologists have to consult with clinicians and patients, read the charts/medical history, analyze the imaging the lab results and then make a definitive diagnosis. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they don't exist. More often than not, they are the ones who save the patient's life from incompetent doctors and surgeons. They are the ones who catch the mistakes, recommend treatments, offer solutions to complex clinical problems, and very often guide therapy and surgical decisions. They are the "doctor's doctor" and are generally regarded as some of the most knowledgable and intelligent people in the hospital.
Lol. Beware the mad pathologist on the loose. Hide your Giemsa stains
Senior resident here, don’t have much experience with pathologists but don’t doubt the above post. A clutch neuroradiologist is worth every penny, can’t convince me otherwise. Have those attendings saved in my phone when needed.
We dabble in radiology, they live it.

Pathologists make the gold standard diagnosis. There is no hedging in pathology. Imagine telling someone they can’t get a transplant because an AI assigned some percent chance of cancer to a standard disc someone sent to cover their ass.
I would honestly guess that surgeons would be replaced by AI far before radiologists. Surgery is very technical making it ideal for replacement. However, radiology involves a lot of interpretertation and congititive function. For example, google has already made self-driving AI cars, but if you look at Google Bard, it is very useless.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)