Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johns Hopkins vs Mayo Clinic
Can someone compare these 2 programs? Trying to see which program to rank higher. Location isn't a factor for me. I'm interested in complex spine deformity.

Much appreciated.

Also, I was referring to Mayo Clinic-Rochester, specifically.
Interested in spine, then Mayo >>> Hopkins
Will be about the same for complex spine. Both programs have well-recognized surgeons that will be good mentors. Look at the papers they put out to see which program you are more interested in since the clinical practice won’t really change.
Are you looking to be academic? Then Hopkins. Grindhouse PP? Mayo.
Mayo without a doubt. High volume of complex cases (tumor and deformity) with incredible autonomy. Hopkins lost most of their great spine surgeons: Sciubba, JP Wolinsky, Gokaslan all gone. Now that I think about it, they lost a lot of their big name cranial surgeons too: Lim (Stanford), Q (Mayo Florida), Ahn (Mayo Rochester), Carson (retired).
Why is Mayo not geared towards producing academic surgeons?
It is and has been for some time. Mayo is not a program that forces you into academics (though Hopkins doesn't really either). Historically, Mayo was a bit heavier toward private practice, but plenty of recent graduates have gone into academics.
Pp> academics regardless of field. We need more Neil ElAttraches than nameless department chairs forcing med students to pump out useless chart reviews
Continuing off OP's question: How does UCSF compare to Mayo? Is UCSF still #1 in the country?
That comparison is much more competitive. I rotated at both. I think it depends on what you're looking for. They're very, very different environments. UCSF is in a major urban center. Much more stressful, tense place. Research (both clinical and definitely basic science) much better than Mayo. Mayo is in a rural setting (literally surrounded by cornfields). Operative experience is much better than UCSF (at the junior level its not even comparable, but even at the Chief level Mayo residents were doing the critical portion in most cases with minimal attending oversight, which honestly wasn't really happening at UCSF). Attendings much more relaxed at Mayo. Much more emphasis on work-life balance.

Very different programs. Only thing they have in common is that they're both top tier places.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)