Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MGH vs UCSF
Trying to pick my away and was wondering if there are any culture, training, or research differences between MGH and UCSF. Thanks !
Search function is ur friend
None of the previous posts seem to specifically address the comparison between the two programs, unfortunately
UCSF actually operates…
one is in Boston and the other is in San Francisco, both are in expensive cities.
MGH is based only at the MGH flagship main campus and Boston Children’s, both of which have low volume and low autonomy.

UCSF residents have the county and VA hospitals where they enjoy more autonomy and volume. The Parnassus university flagship is pretty miserable.

That’s a function of modern medicine where outcomes at the flagships are meticulously tracked and patients expect more. Food for thought.
The county and VA don't have that much volume. VA is simple outpatient procedures. County doesn't get that much trauma as you'd think and the residents spend most of the day presenting patients. You also only operate there as PGY-4s. Parnassus has terrible autonomy. When I rotated there last year, the chiefs were sitting out during the main parts of the cases doing nothing more than opening and closing.

Not sure where people get the opinion that UCSF is great operatively (maybe a decade ago?). All of that is fine with Ed Chang though. His main goal is to produce pipetters, not operative superstars. Leadership was much better with Berger and Wilson.
UCSF has malignant/hostile attendings. What’s the point of training where the “big dogs” are if you constantly get kicked out or banned from the OR. Residents are miserable there, always walking on thin ice, working their asses off and getting verbally abused. If you want that culture then go to UCSF
Oh, come on. It’s not that bad. Only Berger and Mummaneni are assholes like that. Everyone else is super nice.
Berger plays favorites. If you're not going into neurosurgical oncology, then he'll absolutely loathe you. No 70 year old geriatric should be operating anyways. Too bad UCSF can't kick him out. Sure they want to. Mummaneni shits on the residents constantly. Residents profusely apologize when they get a pimping question wrong. Senior residents take their anger out on junior residents. Can't imagine living in fear like that.

I also once saw Berger kick a resident out of a case for cutting suture string too shortly when I was a young buck on sub-Is several years back. I slowly dipped out when he wasn't looking.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)