Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah vs NYU vs Miami
Any thoughts on these programs? These programs are pretty close to the top of my rank list but I'm not sure how to order these. I'm most interested in complex spine deformity but am still open to the cranial world as well. Location is not a factor me. Autonomy and mentorship are pretty important to me.
I rotated at both NYU and Miami a few years ago and in my opinion these programs are not even comparable if you don't care about location.

For me, it would be Miami >>> Utah >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NYU

I had high hopes for NYU after hearing about Bellevue and supposedly "great autonomy" they had, but in reality the residents aren't even exposing their half of the spine until the middle of residency. Attendings are ridiculously hands on. Nobody runs 2 rooms. A lot of the residents complained about poor hands on training during my month there. Bellevue is basically hemicrani's and shunts, with occasional simple spine (and overshadowed by insane amounts of scut work).

Miami is the exact opposite. Residents are doing a ton very early on. If you're interested in spine, they have Mike Wang and Allan Levi. Top notch spine fellowship that you can enfold in your residency. Also great cranial folks (including Adib Abla who just got recruited) if you go that route. The other 2 places on your list don't come close.
I would agree that both Utah and Miami provide superior training to NYU. But don’t let the Med students on this website hear u say it

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)