Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USC vs Utah
Thoughts about these 2 programs? Trying to order these programs in my rank list. Is it a concern that most Utah grads go into PP? Will the quality of Utah's program change with Couldwell likely retiring in a couple of years?
Most grads of every program go into private practice/hospital employed, the math is such that there are more of these jobs available than academic, and they are frequently vastly superior jobs than academia.

Utah is the superior program without question. More autonomy, and the environment is less saturated with other neurosurgery programs compared to LA, where there are a bunch of competitors, including both neurosurgery residency programs, PP groups, and hospital systems.
USC is a declining program for sure, but head and shoulders above Utah. Previous poster is looney tunes.
How is the USC Sub-I experience?
I agree that the private practice/academic mix doesn't matter between these 2 (if anything, if you look at Utah's alumni list, they have *a ton* of people in very desirable practices/groups). USC just has better clinical training. More autonomy, more big names. Both have a tough lifestyle. I'd pick USC over Utah but both are good places.
Does USC actually have more autonomy? Aren't most of their cases trauma?
At LAC - definitely. I'd argue that the autonomy at Keck rivals that of Mayo/BNI although obviously in a much different environment as you said (mostly hemicranis and 2 up, 2 down fusions for spine trauma). At Keck it's probably mixed, although the cases are better (tumor with Zada, vascular with Bill Mack/Russin). Utah autonomy is decent - more of a traditional university type program with graduated autonomy.
How bad is the lifestyle at USC?
Does autonomy on trauma cases make you a better surgeon though?
No, which is why I think the super trauma heavy programs like UW and USC are overrated. Any PGY-2 in any program can do a hemicrani. At these kinds of places, the overwhelming amount of trauma takes away from actual complex cranial and spine cases like you'd get at the BNI, Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic, etc.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)