Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many programs to apply
I wanted to get a general idea of how many schools I should apply to. Any advice from residents/prior applicants? Here are my stats:

Step1: 256
Total abstracts/pubs/posters: 4-5, mostly NSG related
average med school, no home program
around 60
(08-18-2017, 01:40 AM)Guest Wrote: around 60

I agree with the above comment. 60 sounds like a safe number of programs to apply to. I would rather pay a little more on applications and have the luxury of choosing which interviews to go to or discard, rather than feel sorry for getting very few interview invitations when it is too late. Make sure you have a balanced mix of what are so-called top/mid tier programs when you are applying. Also, in my opinion, when you start getting invitations for interviews, try to go to a mix of top and mid tier programs (providing you would be comfortable matching in every program you interview at), rather than just choosing the strongest interviews and discarding the smaller programs. I had a similar profile to your score and research, and was able to match in one of my top choices.

Good luck, and enjoy the interview trail!
Coming off of this last cycle, this is the best advice I got: better to overapply once than having to apply twice.
250+ you are GOLDEN. The only thing that matters in this process is your step 1 score. The rest is a wash. You are the future of neurosurgery with a high step score.
(08-17-2017, 07:51 PM)schools Wrote: I wanted to get a general idea of how many schools I should apply to. Any advice from residents/prior applicants? Here are my stats:

60-70 only because of having no home program. How many aways are you planning to do?
(08-19-2017, 03:58 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 07:51 PM)schools Wrote: I wanted to get a general idea of how many schools I should apply to. Any advice from residents/prior applicants? Here are my stats:

60-70 only because of having no home program. How many aways are you planning to do?

3. Last one is next month so the letter will be late.
(08-18-2017, 09:52 PM)Guest Wrote: Coming off of this last cycle, this is the best advice I got: better to overapply once than having to apply twice.

Truth. Apply to them all and try to interview at as many as you can. Aim to interview around 20 with a good mix across the board of competitiveness.
(08-19-2017, 04:29 PM)opp Wrote:

Are they places that interview their Sub-I's? If they really like you then you may feel comfortable undershooting with 60 programs.
(08-20-2017, 03:38 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-19-2017, 04:29 PM)opp Wrote:

Are they places that interview their Sub-I's? If they really like you then you may feel comfortable undershooting with 60 programs.

yes, all 3 typically interview all of their Sub-Is and have a preference for taking them

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)