Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Sub-Is, same city
Hi all, 

I'm an MS3 at a Midwest MD school with a S.O in NYC. Step 1 ~260 , will probably make AOA, with 3 publications (1 first author, 2 second author). I am hoping to do three Sub-Is: One at NYU, one at NYP-Cornell or Mount Sinai, and perhaps another northeastern program like Jefferson or Penn. Would doing two aways in the same city hurt my application geographically outside of places in the Northeast? Should I only do one away in NYC?
It will show a strong interest in the NYC/NE region but not insurmountable. May be do NYC, Penn (or Hopkins) and Wash U. Spreads your region a bit and shows you are not stuck on NYC. With 260 and assuming HH grades, you are fine but in NYC nothing is a given and you definitely want to cast a wider net.
(08-21-2017, 04:18 PM)Guest Wrote: It will show a strong interest in the NYC/NE region but not insurmountable. May be do NYC, Penn (or Hopkins) and Wash U. Spreads your region a bit and shows you are not stuck on NYC. With 260 and assuming HH grades, you are fine but in NYC nothing is a given and you definitely want to cast a wider net.

Appreciate it but I don't think I'm going to do WashU. I heard not so great things about a Sub-I at Hopkins other than getting a letter from Brem but I'll consider it. My rank list will most likely be NYC oriented anyways as my S.O will be there for the foreseeable future. I'm considering doing a Sub-I at Yale as well although I haven't heard good things about the program.
What have you heard about Hopkins?
(08-21-2017, 08:48 PM)Guest Wrote: What have you heard about Hopkins?

Limited responsibilities during the Sub-I, lots of scut, no facetime with Huang and Brem. All the cases are at least double scrubbed. This is based on information from an attending at my institution that went to school there but trained elsewhere. Essentially it is a good place to be a resident but not a medical student doing a sub-i.
(08-21-2017, 09:03 PM)Guest Wrote:

Limited responsibilities during the Sub-I, lots of scut, no facetime with Huang and Brem. All the cases are at least double scrubbed. This is based on information from an attending at my institution that went to school there but trained elsewhere. Essentially it is a good place to be a resident but not a medical student doing a sub-i.

Wrong. It is an intense program and not for the weak at heart ( and perhaps also the brain). Many driven and smart people there. May not appear that way, but they do size you up and you will have to earn responsibility and attention there. Impress Huang and Brem and you are golden.
(08-21-2017, 11:01 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-21-2017, 09:03 PM)Guest Wrote:

Wrong. It is an intense program and not for the weak at heart ( and perhaps also the brain). Many driven and smart people there. May not appear that way, but they do size you up and you will have to earn responsibility and attention there. Impress Huang and Brem and you are golden.

Intense is putting it lightly from my chairman and faculty members but I'll consider it. I'm shying away from programs like Hopkins and Columbia because I don't have 10 pubs and don't go to a top 5 medical school which seems to be what they're looking for in terms of pedigree as well as performing well on the Sub-I.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)