Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Private practice run programs
What do you guys think about the programs that are run by private groups?
Barrow is pretty awesome.
There aren't really very many of them:
Barrow - heard its a good place to train - historically pumps out pp, recently they've had a couple go into academics
Tennessee - residency is run by Semmes-Murphey clinic, operative heavy, pretty much everyone goes into pp
Carolinas - new program, but the practice has been around a long time, have yet to graduate a resident
Cincinnati - used to be run with Mayfield clinic, but they just split, might be a rough couple years till they figure stuff out
Indiana - residency is affiliated with Goodman Campbell clinic, heard they've been trying to be more academic over recent years
Swedish - don't have a residency, but they do have fellowships

Not really sure what OP was asking about specifically, but I would say these are all solid places to train. Probably not going to set yourself up for a career in academics unless you really go out of your way to make it happen. Should set you up well for a career in private practice though as these are some of the biggest nsg practices in the country, have good reputations, and are well connected.
Great list above. Any idea how an MD PhD student with minimal interest in staying in academics can get into an operative heavy program?
Private practice residencies are much more operative heavy than the academic programs.
(08-24-2017, 02:33 PM)Guest Wrote: Great list above. Any idea how an MD PhD student with minimal interest in staying in academics can get into an operative heavy program?

I don't think operative heavy programs will disregard your app if you're an MD-PhD. Maybe consider programs like Pitt, UVA, Jefferson, USC that operate a lot but still have enough research if you want it.
UVA, USC lots of research
I seem to recall that the strongest predictor of an applicant going into pp in an oldbstydy was a PhD. Rrgardless I wouldnt worrt about your research turning them off. Doing subis at operative powerhouses will go a long way to provingbsincerity
I think these types of programs have a better relationship with industry. When I interviewed at one of these places, a device company sponsored a MIS cadaver lab after the interviews were done that day. The reps were incredibly friendly and helpful (yes, I know its their job to be) and were actually able to tell me some things about the spine programs around the country where their colleagues worked. Also, some of the senior residents had been flown to industry-hosted courses for spine, skull base, etc over the past year.

Coming from a big-name academic institution where this type of relationship is discouraged and frowned upon, I can tell you that this close interaction with industry doesn't exist in the "true-academic" programs around the country (for better or worse)
(08-27-2017, 12:40 PM)Guest Wrote: I think these types of programs have a better relationship with industry. When I interviewed at one of these places, a device company sponsored a MIS cadaver lab after the interviews were done that day. The reps were incredibly friendly and helpful (yes, I know its their job to be) and were actually able to tell me some things about the spine programs around the country where their colleagues worked. Also, some of the senior residents had been flown to industry-hosted courses for spine, skull base, etc over the past year.

Coming from a big-name academic institution where this type of relationship is discouraged and frowned upon, I can tell you that this close interaction with industry doesn't exist in the "true-academic" programs around the country (for better or worse)

Can you expand on other programs that might have this kind of relationship?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)