Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basic Science Research
Hi,
I am a medical student currently interested in either neurology or neurosurgery. I understand that research is very important for applying to neurosurgery. I have a background in basic neuroscience research from before I came to medical school, and I am now getting involved in clinical research. Is it suggested to pursue a balance of both clinical and basic science research, or does it matter? Is one more respected over another? I see lots of people saying to just do clinical research because it is less of a time sink and you can get a lot more publications.

I did greatly enjoy my time working in animal research, I actually like it more than clinical research because it is not just laborious excel charting. It feels more involved.

Although I enjoyed basic science work, I do worry about the time commitment and my ability to balance it. Even now, with my clinical projects, I have found it difficult to strike a balance and I worry about my grades dipping if I overcommit. And to be honest, even though I enjoy basic science work, I do not want to strain myself if the bang isn't going to be worth the buck. Why would I spend excessive time caring for lab animals when I could spend the same amount of time in clinical research while cranking out more publications? If the residencies actually care about quantity > quality, it doesn't seem like doing basic bench work would be worth the investment.

I see people online saying that for residencies in general, quantity > quality. I find it hard to believe that this is entirely true. I would think a neurosurgery PD would understand and respect that there is a difference in scholarly between a multi year comprehensive basic science project and a simple observational chart review that you could quickly crank out in a couple of weeks. Wouldn't basic science research been seen as more scholarly?
Top academic neurosurgery programs: quality > quantity. Mid-tier and low-tier programs: quantity > quality.
Neurosurgery loves basic science research
Do the kind of research you enjoy. You'll be more productive and effective and it will show.
What happens if you are involved in a basic science lab, putting in tons of hours but not being able to push out a manuscript?
Could you still talk about your experience and would that reflect positively?
Yes but you'll need to publish.
It would reflect negatively if no pub from it. When it comes to research, programs care more about results than process.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)