Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing sub Is for student with poor STEP1/didactic grades
Hello. I made a post like this in the USMLE board about my general chances but would like some recommendations for specific Sub I. Found some of the feedback a little confusing in the other discussion and reposting here since this one is specific to the Sub I.

I did very poorly my first two years (some Cs, rest Bs) and a low 22x step 1. Since then I've done my PhD,  with 7 first author basic research papers (no cell/nature) Inc one in science translational and 4 in neuro journals, multiple other co authorship, and 7 other papers from other experiences from.my gap and first year. All are research articles except for 3 review papers. I'm in the process of pushing out some neurosurg articles over the next 2 years.

I'm trying to make a list of Sub I programs to apply to this year. I'm planning on 3. In the other thread I was told to apply to "MGH"-esque programs and less competitive programs such as Stanford, Michigan, Yale, Florida, West Virginia, and more. I found this a bit confusing since I would have assumed some of those names like MGH, Stanford, Michigan to be highly competitive and not even worth me doing a sub I at. 

I would ideally like to match into a research-focused program and would like to do Sub I's at institutions I have a chance matching at. My current list includes

UFlorida, UMass, UCSD, UIC, U Washington, Georgetown/NIH, Ohio State. With the recommendations above, I was thinking about looking into Stanford, Michigan, and MGH as well but I'm still not sure if I have a realistic shot at those places. Wanted to get your opinions.

Any other places I should consider applying to?
Rutgers
Find a program that has someone who does research like what you did your PhD in. Whoever said Stanford isn’t competitive doesn’t know what they’re talking about. You won’t go to MGH or UCSF, so don’t bother looking there. Focus on things you did well at when discussing yourself without highlighting downsides. Your soft skills will make or break your chance at matching.
Bad scores? Consider Loma Linda, Rutgers, SLU, Missouri, mayo Jax, suny upstate, Louisville, and any former DO program
(04-18-2024, 08:26 PM)Guest Wrote: Bad scores? Consider Loma Linda, Rutgers, SLU, Missouri, mayo Jax, suny upstate, Louisville, and any former DO program

What's wrong with Mayo Jax? I thought they were a solid program. Had a great match this year too
Montefiore might be a good option. I think they have strong research as a mid-tier program.

Montefiore might be a good option. I think they have strong research as a mid-tier program.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)