Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Programs that are not research centric
Hello Neurosurgery hub users!

I'm asking for advice on how to determine how much emphasis a program on research in the matching process? Is it mainly word of mouth, program reputation, who the chair is etc? 

I ask because I have built a solid application that is light on research. 259 step 2, excellent clinical grades, an MPH and what I believe will be very strong letters of recommendation from reputable faculty, but I am lacking in publications. Only 3 neurosurgery publications thus far in medical school (one 1st author, one 3rd author in a high impact journal), once you factor in case reports/abstracts/posters that number rises to 14 but from what I've heard those are not weighed too heavily. I hope I can continue building this part of my resume over the coming months but that is where I sit only 1 month from the end of M3. Truth be told I don't really enjoy research that much. While it can be interesting, it is not what has fueled my passion for neurosurgery. I'm sure I will continue to do some research as a resident/attending but I'm the type of applicant who would much rather do an enfolded fellowship to spend more time in the OR than do a research project as a PGY5. 

I know a research year would be recommended (which I am considering) but if I were to apply this coming year what programs have a history of not weighing research as heavily as their peers? I assume this would take the large academic centers like MGH/Pitt/Hopkins/UCSF etc off the table which I'm perfectly fine with as I'd be willing to go anywhere in the country to train. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm trying to do my due diligence as I compile a list of potential locations to do Sub-Is and programs to signal. 

Thank you in advance
There are many community based programs that train neurosurgeons well that do not emphasize research. Carolinas Medical Center is a great example of a solid program, little to no research emphasis, and great training environment. Do not take a research year if you do not want to do research.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)