Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
declining subI's
is it better to withdraw subI apps before getting a decision? heard that programs won't interview you if you decline an offer to subI.
Yes you should withdraw as soon as you are sure. No it isn't universally true they won't interview you.
If you've accepted a subI but were offered a subI at a place you would ideally want to end up at, what would be the best course of action?
It's not great, my PD blackballs anyone who does that (accepts then withdraws) because it messes up their scheduling. But that's not true everywhere. Don't think most people would love it, however (especially 2 weeks prior to subintern season).
It doesn’t look great. Avoid cancelling them once they’ve been offered to you, as it will burn bridges in a lot cases. At best, it signals to a program that there are places you’d rather go, and trust me, they will remember that when it comes time to rank applicants. At worst, it kills your chances altogether at some programs, as they won’t even consider you for an interview. I’m not saying that’s how it should be, but remember that neurosurgery is a competitive specialty, and even less desirable locations have their pick of cream of the crop applicants. Once you signal a lack of interest in a program, they will move on to the next fantastic applicant, and will not think twice about you.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)