Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 1.63 Average
Research Advice
I'm currently an M2 doing research in another surgical sub-specialty, but recently have been more interested in NS. My question is when it comes down to apply, how much is non-NS research weighed against NS? I am a little apprehensive about switching over right now because I have a chance at a few first author publications in this other specialty, so I'm wondering if it would be wise to wait until 3rd year after Step I to try to make NS connections. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
NS research>other research>>>>>>>>>no research
270 >>>> nsg research > research >>>>no research
(09-10-2017, 11:17 PM)Guest Wrote: 270 >>>> nsg research > research >>>>no research

Please stop. And no, I don't have a low Step.
I have exactly 0 research experiences, and am sitting pretty at 28 interviews. Research is way overblown on the internet. Wouldn't worry about research one bit.

Disclaimer: 260+ Step 1, top 20 med school
(10-22-2017, 07:58 PM)Guest Wrote: I have exactly 0 research experiences, and am sitting pretty at 28 interviews.  Research is way overblown on the internet.  Wouldn't worry about research one bit.

This is awesome and and very encouraging. Congrats to you!

I do have to ask though, are any of your interview invites from "top" programs that typically value research to some extent? Not necessarily super research-heavy schools like UCSF, MGH, etc.
(10-22-2017, 09:21 PM)Trigger Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 07:58 PM)Guest Wrote: I have exactly 0 research experiences, and am sitting pretty at 28 interviews.  Research is way overblown on the internet.  Wouldn't worry about research one bit.

I do have to ask though, are any of your interview invites from "top" programs that typically value research to some extent? Not necessarily super research-heavy schools like UCSF, MGH, etc.

Those places haven't sent out invites yet.  Vandy, Pitt, Colorado, Utah, UCLA, GT, UF, Emory, Yale...some good ones.  Aside from the few MD/Phds or kids who took a year and kissed everyone's ass to get 3rd and 4th author on papers, most people have very little research.  Doesn't matter one bit.  Step scores are way more important in this process.

I've also pubmeded some people who have been on interviews with me and they have nothing significant either.  Just focus on getting a very strong Step score and everything will work out.  

Makes sense.  Personally, I'd take the 250+ with no research experience any day over the 225 with mounds of first author publications.  Research doesn't translate into intelligence or good residents.
(10-22-2017, 09:45 PM)Guest Wrote:

Those places haven't sent out invites yet.  Vandy, Pitt, Colorado, Utah, UCLA, GT, UF, Emory, Yale...some good ones.  Aside from the few MD/Phds or kids who took a year and kissed everyone's ass to get 3rd and 4th author on papers, most people have very little research.  Doesn't matter one bit.  Step scores are way more important in this process.

I've also pubmeded some people who have been on interviews with me and they have nothing significant either.  Just focus on getting a very strong Step score and everything will work out.  

Makes sense.  Personally, I'd take the 250+ with no research experience any day over the 225 with mounds of first author publications.  Research doesn't translate into intelligence or good residents.

I'm a resident at a "top tier" program and we recently sent out interview invites. Here are the criteria, from most to least important, we use when selecting candidates

+ Subi performance
+ Letters of rec or personal phone calls
+ AOA
+ Number of first author publications
+ Clinical grades
+ Honors and awards
+ Average of step one and step two scores
+ Preclinical grades
+ Extracurricular activities

Step one is seventh on our list and its averaged with step two scores. From what I learned talking to my colleagues at other institutions, many programs use similar criteria. Your 260+ alone didn't earn you 28 interviews. There are other factors that matter.
(10-22-2017, 09:45 PM)Guest Wrote:

Awesome. Did you decide not to take Step 2 early in light of your Step 1 score?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)