Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When to plan on SOAPing?
My application has now been in over a week now.  I have 0 interviews.  I know why, it is my Step score, but I obviously can't make up for that now.  The rest of my application is at a very high level; however, I imagine my application may not get read or may get a perfunctory glance because I don't have a nsg type score.

-What should I be doing to prepare for soaping?
-What specialties are usually amenable to soaping?

I feel destroyed inside.
Only 13% of programs interview before Oct 1.

What's your step score, roughly?
Bro. Too early to panic at that level. But, I like the thought of always at least brainstorming backup plans. If you are serious about a back up plan, SOAP isn't your best option yet. You can still get letter or two and apply to other specialties, in my case I would do Rads, and make a case for neuroradiology on PS and interviews.
(09-25-2017, 12:02 PM)dropthesoap Wrote: My application has now been in over a week now.  I have 0 interviews.  I know why, it is my Step score, but I obviously can't make up for that now.  The rest of my application is at a very high level; however, I imagine my application may not get read or may get a perfunctory glance because I don't have a nsg type score.

-What should I be doing to prepare for soaping?
-What specialties are usually amenable to soaping?

I feel destroyed inside.

What was your score brother?
Crap for this field. A lot of hope, time, and money down the drain.
(09-25-2017, 04:14 PM)Guest Wrote: Crap for this field.  A lot of hope, time, and money down the drain.

But you applied, so you must have thought it would be ok, and your program director must have signed off on it. I agree with everyone else, having a backup isn’t bad but I’d wait it out and see what happens
(09-25-2017, 12:05 PM)Guest Wrote: Only 13% of programs interview before Oct 1.

Can't be true, 22 offered interviews according to this thread which is already more than 13%
(09-25-2017, 07:12 PM)Guest Wrote:
(09-25-2017, 12:05 PM)Guest Wrote: Only 13% of programs interview before Oct 1.

Can't be true, 22 offered interviews according to this thread which is already more than 13%

The statistic is "13% of interview offers were made before Oct 1", not "13% of programs offered interviews before Oct 1".
21/105 ~ 20% of programs have sent interview invites thus far (I don't believe the Yale one). This probably doesn't correlate with 20% of the total number of interview invites that will be offered though. Maybe they meant 13% of all interview invites which is more likely?

Regardless, it is kind of hard to imagine that this is not how the rest of the field will play out. I'm sure there are plenty of people now sitting on ~10 interviews and plenty sitting on ~0/1/2. For busy neurosurgeons to be going to through applications this quickly there has to be a formula applied and likely those with the combined highest steps and AOA/most honors are getting most to the early interviews. I highly doubt research or letters are factoring in here for the most part.

For now it's likely that the same group of people with high scores and high grades (regardless of research) getting all the invites.
(09-25-2017, 07:36 PM)Guest Wrote: 21/105 ~ 20% of programs have sent interview invites thus far (I don't believe the Yale one).  This probably doesn't correlate with 20% of the total number of interview invites that will be offered though.  Maybe they meant 13% of all interview invites which is more likely?

Regardless, it is kind of hard to imagine that this is not how the rest of the field will play out.  I'm sure there are plenty of people now sitting on ~10 interviews and plenty sitting on ~0/1/2.  For busy neurosurgeons to be going to through applications this quickly there has to be a formula applied and likely those with the combined highest steps and AOA/most honors are getting most to the early interviews.  I highly doubt research or letters are factoring in here for the most part.

For now it's likely that the same group of people with high scores and high grades (regardless  of research) getting all the invites.

Believe the Yale one.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)