• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
chances
what are my chances of getting into a solid (top 20) Neurosurgery residency

Third year medical student
Step 1 240+
Step 2 260+

Currently a HHMI Medical Fellow-->research year

20 publications with 7 first author
Mix of both basic science and clinical papers.
you won't match. any step score below 250 won't match. go do family med loser
(09-26-2017, 02:25 PM)Guest Wrote: you won't match. any step score below 250 won't match. go do family med loser

This guy is an asshole. Or joking and and asshole. But whether you'll get a "top 20" program will depend on your letters, your home program, maybe AOA. The rest of your application is average, but maybe above average for a research-heavy program. You'll be an average applicant otherwise.
(09-26-2017, 02:32 PM)Guest Wrote:
(09-26-2017, 02:25 PM)Guest Wrote: you won't match. any step score below 250 won't match. go do family med loser

This guy is an asshole. Or joking and and asshole. But whether you'll get a "top 20" program will depend on your letters, your home program, maybe AOA. The rest of your application is average, but maybe above average for a research-heavy program. You'll be an average applicant otherwise.

agreed with the letters/home program part. we talking "20 pubs" as in 20 papers or including posters/abstracts/etc? I doubt 20 papers is average.
I'm not the OP, but what do you mean 'depends on your home program'?

Is that another way of saying it depends on how prestigious your med school is? Or are you saying it depends on whether your home program goes to bat for you? Or both?
(09-26-2017, 03:10 PM)Guest Wrote: I'm not the OP, but what do you mean 'depends on your home program'?

Is that another way of saying it depends on how prestigious your med school is?  Or are you saying it depends on whether your home program goes to bat for you? Or both?

Both
(09-26-2017, 03:15 PM)Guest Wrote:
(09-26-2017, 03:10 PM)Guest Wrote: I'm not the OP, but what do you mean 'depends on your home program'?

Is that another way of saying it depends on how prestigious your med school is?  Or are you saying it depends on whether your home program goes to bat for you? Or both?

Both

Thanks for answering for me lol
A HHMI fellow w/ a 240 and 20 pubs is going to match unless, like any applicant, they are absolutely pathologic. Even then probably matchable.
(09-26-2017, 02:43 PM)Guest Wrote:
(09-26-2017, 02:32 PM)Guest Wrote:

agreed with the letters/home program part. we talking "20 pubs" as in 20 papers or including posters/abstracts/etc? I doubt 20 papers is average.

thank you all for replying and assuaging my worries. I have 20 papers. this does not include talks, abstract and posters.

will it help to do subIs at top institutions ?
Definitely matchable, in a good program too. Whether "top 20" (as OP mentioned) or not, it will still be a solid program with your application.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)