Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
240 step one, am I competitive
I really really want to go into neurosurgery. I got a 240 on my step one, and all honors in my clerkships so far (I am currently a third year). I have two publications (one in cardiothoracic surgery, one in cardiology). I've also done three poster presentations. I think if I commit to the idea of doing neurosurgery now, I could get  some NS research in during my third year. My question is do I 

A) have a chance, and should go for it
B) have a chance, but should take a year off and do more research to make up for the sub par step one
C) have a chance, but should apply to a gen surg back up 
D) don't have a chance, and should give up now

I guess I'm discouraged because in 2014 the NS avg was 244 where I think I would have a decent chance, but now the latest data from 2016 has it at a 249. Also I have no home program and don't come from a top 40 med school.
(09-26-2017, 08:06 PM)NShopeful1 Wrote: I really really want to go into neurosurgery. I got a 240 on my step one, and all honors in my clerkships so far (I am currently a third year). I have two publications (one in cardiothoracic surgery, one in cardiology). I've also done three poster presentations. I think if I commit to the idea of doing neurosurgery now, I could get  some NS research in during my third year. My question is do I 

A) have a chance, and should go for it
B) have a chance, but should take a year off and do more research to make up for the sub par step one
C) have a chance, but should apply to a gen surg back up 
D) don't have a chance, and should give up now

I guess I'm discouraged because in 2014 the NS avg was 244 where I think I would have a decent chance, but now the latest data from 2016 has it at a 249. Also I have no home program and don't come from a top 40 med school.

C more than B
^ do not listen to this bs.

Do some NS research, take step 2 early and show some improvement, and by all means do not be upset about a 240. Would also suggest reaching out to any local nsg residencies if no home program.

A. Prove the assholes wrong.
(09-26-2017, 08:37 PM)Guest Wrote: ^ do not listen to this bs.

Do some NS research, take step 2 early and show some improvement, and by all means do not be upset about a 240. Would also suggest reaching out to any local nsg residencies if no home program.

A. Prove the assholes wrong.

Ok sure give unrealistic advice. Because THAT isn't being an asshole /s
Agree with above. It’s tough to ask these questions in forums like this cuz you never know what you’ll get. From reading different threads here, there is a lot of horrible people in hear. First of all, while step scores are important in Neurosurgery, it is not THE qualitfication for Neurosurgery. If you look at charting outcomes for past years, there are plenty of people that match even with scores less than 240. According to charting outcome looking at your score alone, you are already in a pool that is more likely to match than not (caveat here is that the application/interview/match process is multifactorial and does not only look at scores alone). I think a lot of people out here have mistaken ideas that just because they have a 250+ then they’re going to get interviews and match at top programs. It is true that it definitely gets programs attention to have a higher score but does not guarantee interviews and match. It’s about fit. Some programs like to see that they are training future leaders and academic professors in Neurosurgery. If that is what you want, make sure that you have an application that says that. I would only advise taking a year out if you either have a subpar application (which doesn’t look like the case) or if you really want to make a statement about your interest in academic Neurosurgery. Otherwise, the opportunity cost and investment return is not worth it, you practically giving up 1/2 a million to a million bucks to do so. As for me, I have made it explicit in many ways that an academic career in Neurosurgery is what I want, and I’ve been getting all the interviews I’ve wanted and been passed by programs I knew do not have that as a focus, and I do not have a 250+ step 1.
Go ahead and apply. You don't need a research year or to even apply back up to Gen surg.

The way I see it is the biggest disadvantage you have is going to a med school without a home program. Try getting on a neurology or interventional radiology/neuro rads case report or research project. Spine surgery research with an ortho attending would also fly.

Sub-Is will be critical for you. As you have no home program I would say you need to do 4 aways. Do two aways at places with historically good rec letter writers (thinking about Michigan, UVA, MGH). Do an away at a med school near you, the proximity might help your app get looked there. The final away is up to you, but I'd shoot for somewhere that interviews their sub-Is like Emory.
Take a research year and be extremely productive. During research year develop mentor mentee relationship with a neurosurgeon PI.
Take a research year and be extremely productive. During research year develop mentor mentee relationship with a neurosurgeon PI.
(09-27-2017, 05:29 PM)Guest Wrote: Take a research year and be extremely productive. During research year develop mentor mentee relationship with a neurosurgeon PI.

A research year would be beneficial but is it necessary for your career goals? You can most likely match at a respectable program (OSU, Jeff, Tennessee) with a solid step 2 score and good away performances. I don't think you've done enough to realistically match at a top program with what you have so far and a research year or two wouldn't help your case that much for somewhere like Columbia.
Research year would maximize chances for matching in an otherwise below average application. I would definitely do research year if I was OP. You must be productive though, or it would hurt you.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)