Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has a strong Step 2 been helping this cycle?
I recently got my step 1 score back and did very poorly, 226.  I don't finish 3rd year until July and I am debating on going to subI's in July, Aug, Sept vs Step 2 in July and sub i Aug, Sept, Oct.  

Any one with a low Step 1 this year and high Step 2 getting interviews.  I feel that Step 1 determines your interview invites, so if I get screened by Step 1 it doesn't matter anyway right.  I figure the only way I'll get an interview is with a sub i (great research and on a path to AOA).
(10-04-2017, 01:57 PM)step2 Wrote: I recently got my step 1 score back and did very poorly, 226.  I don't finish 3rd year until July and I am debating on going to subI's in July, Aug, Sept vs Step 2 in July and sub i Aug, Sept, Oct.  

Any one with a low Step 1 this year and high Step 2 getting interviews.  I feel that Step 1 determines your interview invites, so if I get screened by Step 1 it doesn't matter anyway right.  I figure the only way I'll get an interview is with a sub i (great research and on a path to AOA).

My program literally does not look at the step 2.
(10-04-2017, 01:57 PM)step2 Wrote: I recently got my step 1 score back and did very poorly, 226.  I don't finish 3rd year until July and I am debating on going to subI's in July, Aug, Sept vs Step 2 in July and sub i Aug, Sept, Oct.  

I'd say that the answer varies from program to program. Although there are several out there that do have a screening (there are filters on the ERAS PD portal that you can preset) to determine which applicants they review or not based on step 1. The problem is that there isn't much transparency on which programs do filters and which don't and even less insight into whether the filters also take step 2 into account. There are some programs out there that will take a look at your application regardless of step 1 score. I know for example that mine does (I have talked to our program director and assistant director and they are very transparent to us about it). However, they have told us that when they see a lower step 1 score then they start looking for other things to justify whether they will give this candidate an interview or not (improvement in step 2ck, AOA, pubs and research, among other things in their application that may make them stand out). Our PD has told us that if they see improvement in step 2ck then they don't care too much about step 1. However, there is still a chance of underperforming in both which may potentially hurt your further. Our PD/APD also told us that they have taken people with step scores as low as 205 and as high as 280, however, you need to stand out in other ways. That said, unfortunately, you should expect programs that will screen you out and it would be realistic to consider that you might get fewer interviews than average. However, it isn't also impossible to match. You may want to consider a year out of solid research and a good mentor.
(10-04-2017, 02:15 PM)MrGyrus Wrote:

I'd say that the answer varies from program to program. Although there are several out there that do have a screening (there are filters on the ERAS PD portal that you can preset) to determine which applicants they review or not based on step 1. The problem is that there isn't much transparency on which programs do filters and which don't and even less insight into whether the filters also take step 2 into account. There are some programs out there that will take a look at your application regardless of step 1 score. I know for example that mine does (I have talked to our program director and assistant director and they are very transparent to us about it). However, they have told us that when they see a lower step 1 score then they start looking for other things to justify whether they will give this candidate an interview or not (improvement in step 2ck, AOA, pubs and research, among other things in their application that may make them stand out). Our PD has told us that if they see improvement in step 2ck then they don't care too much about step 1. However, there is still a chance of underperforming in both which may potentially hurt your further. Our PD/APD also told us that they have taken people with step scores as low as 205 and as high as 280, however, you need to stand out in other ways. That said, unfortunately, you should expect programs that will screen you out and it would be realistic to consider that you might get fewer interviews than average. However, it isn't also impossible to match. You may want to consider a year out of solid research and a good mentor.

My experience with our program supports this as good advice.  On a purely logistical note, if a program gets 300 applications for 3 spots at most you have to filter through them some way, and a Step 1 is, for better or worse, one of the easiest ways to do that.  But not only does that cut off vary from program to program (if it even exists at all) it might vary from year to year depending on the whims/needs of the PD/faculty.  It's hard to be transparent if there's no set formula, unfortunately. 

I will add though that your sub-internships will likely be of special importance - choose them wisely.  A stand-out sub-internship generally means great LORs and the support of residents and/or faculty, which can be just as valuable, if not more so.  Heck, unless it's required by the program, disclosing your score when you apply for rotations might not even be worth it since some applicants haven't even received theirs back yet.
Best advise is to be realistic. With a very low Step 1, everything else has to shine. Best way to get around the Step 1 score is to know somebody who knows somebody. Another is to kill the Sub-Is. Be aware that your best chance to match is at one of your Sub-Is. So make sure you are realistic about picking them. DO NOT over reach. Another good possibility is your home program, if there is one. But you can't take them for granted. You have to convince them just as you would any other program.

Regarding Step 2, if you take it, you have to score at or above Average Score for the Step 2 test and not just beat your own Step 1 score. Remember that most people score better on Step 2 than their Step 1. Which means that the Step 2 average score is higher than the Step 1 average. And programs know this.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)