Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 2.07 Average
Features requests?
Any thoughts?  I was going to try a program review (both for applicants and residents), and a conference/course calendar.  Any other ideas are appreciated.
Similar to program review, sub-I review could be nice as well.
(12-26-2016, 07:37 PM)Guest Wrote: Similar to program review, sub-I review could be nice as well.

Absolutely.  I was looking at orthogate and they seem to have a yelp style review system.  I'm not sure whether this would be useful or not, I do like the current format for sub-I reviews.  We don't have a mechanism as of yet to review the interview experience or residency, but that would be useful.
Thanks socrates for taking on this massive effort.

I also like the current format for Sub-I reviews - a simple forum discussion where people are free to post their experiences, and the student can decide how much stock to take whether good or bad.

The wiki right now doesn't seem to let me log in using my forum username - is that intentional or are separate credentials needed?

I would argue for the "less is more" mentality when it comes to subforums (do we really need a USMLE subforum?) because that consolidates discussion better. But, you definitely covered all the bases.
(12-27-2016, 12:32 PM)smithers Wrote: Thanks socrates for taking on this massive effort.

I also like the current format for Sub-I reviews - a simple forum discussion where people are free to post their experiences, and the student can decide how much stock to take whether good or bad.

The wiki right now doesn't seem to let me log in using my forum username - is that intentional or are separate credentials needed?

I would argue for the "less is more" mentality when it comes to subforums (do we really need a USMLE subforum?) because that consolidates discussion better. But, you definitely covered all the bases.

I'm working on integrating the wiki and board credential authentication.  Unfortunately, again the answer isn't simple.

For now you can either a) edit anonymously   b) re-create an account or c) use the username and pw: nsgy_user password1  

Sorry for any confusion!
(12-27-2016, 12:32 PM)smithers Wrote: Thanks socrates for taking on this massive effort.

I was able to implement a Wiki software that integrates with the board nicely. Use the Forum Nav button and the link to wiki under there (http://neurosurgeryhub.org/wiki.php)  However it is not as robust of a wiki package as the stand-alone wiki I have set up (http://neurosurgeryhub.org/wiki/).

I am still looking in to if I can authenticate the stand alone wiki with the forum username/password.  If I switch to a different forum software it would integrate, but I'd have to pull the server offline and reconfigure it.  

Let me know which Wiki you guys like better and we can go from there.
Could we get a view recent posts, or recent threads for the whole forum? Thanks Socrates, this looks great. Very nice work!
(12-31-2016, 01:23 PM)Guest Wrote: Could we get a view recent posts, or recent threads for the whole forum? Thanks Socrates, this looks great. Very nice work!

There are a couple of options for this:

1) Register an account and there is a link for "new threads."  The code from the website keeps track of which forums each user has viewed, so it can pull them from the database to nicely arrange for you each visit.  As a guest/anonymous account it can't really do this.

2) As anonymous, click the portal link under forum nav.  On the left it shows the newest posts to all threads.  When I have some time I'll try to have this somewhere on the front page for decreased clicks (e.g. newest 5 posts at the top of the list of all forums).

Glad you like it thus far.
(12-31-2016, 01:23 PM)Guest Wrote: Could we get a view recent posts, or recent threads for the whole forum? Thanks Socrates, this looks great. Very nice work!

This feature is now at the bottom of the front page.  It displays the last 5 threads in the whole forum (I can alter the length of the table if you guys want more than just 5).
(01-01-2017, 02:52 PM)socrates Wrote:

This feature is now at the bottom of the front page.  It displays the last 5 threads in the whole forum (I can alter the length of the table if you guys want more than just 5).

I'd find it helpful if it was more than 5, maybe 10?   During the high traffic period of interview season the last five threads may only represent the last few hours of posting

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)