Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buffalo Invites
howdie folks,
first of all, good luck on interviews everyone. SUNY Buffalo is my home program, and I'm interested in the overall idea of the guys that got invited here. I get that no one wants to completely expose themselves (which is very likely if given enough details), but just a range on some parameters like pubs/presentations, scores, LORs and where you did your aways...etc. I'd really appreciate it because I wanna see if there's much of a difference between what I'm told and what's really happening (likely none).
lol no one will tell you that info on here. I got an interview tho. My stats are 250+, between 10-15 things in the pubs/presentations section with a couple being manuscripts. Wont give away where my LORs are from.

hope this helps. Sorry for keeping it really general
Similar to above^.

I'm curious, what are they telling you that is happening?
curious as well
(10-11-2017, 01:22 PM)Buffalonian Wrote: howdie folks,
first of all, good luck on interviews everyone. SUNY Buffalo is my home program, and I'm interested in the overall idea of the guys that got invited here. I get that no one wants to completely expose themselves (which is very likely if given enough details), but just a range on some parameters like pubs/presentations, scores, LORs and where you did your aways...etc. I'd really appreciate it because I wanna see if there's much of a difference between what I'm told and what's really happening (likely none).

Did you not get an invite?
^Now that's what I'm curious about.
I should have specified. Currently M2 and talked with a friend currently applying, he told me they're looking for 240's, ALOT of research experience (something around 25 for seniors) and an interest in an academic route. Also said 2 local NY subIs (SUNY upstate for one) help out, no preference for people that had spent any time rotating/observing in buffalo. He said it's not very competitive here since the lifestyle is a downside for many applicants, but the program is up and coming under levy and siddiqui. My friend didn't tell me whether he got an invite or not, and I totally understand everyone's discretion here. he also wasn't overly specific. seems like he's at least right about the research experience, any more insight would be helpful.
I wouldn't concentrate on one program. For reference most other programs high step 1 trumps research by a landslide. They want smart residents, not ones that can publish. If both are high then more power.
(10-11-2017, 02:59 PM)Guest Wrote: I should have specified. Currently M2 and talked with a friend currently applying, he told me they're looking for 240's, ALOT of research experience (something around 25 for seniors) and an interest in an academic route. Also said 2 local NY subIs (SUNY upstate for one) help out, no preference for people that had spent any time rotating/observing in buffalo. He said it's not very competitive here since the lifestyle is a downside for many applicants, but the program is up and coming under levy and siddiqui. My friend didn't tell me whether he got an invite or not, and I totally understand everyone's discretion here. he also wasn't overly specific. seems like he's at least right about the research experience, any more insight would be helpful.

Bud, bud.  Just do your best.
(10-11-2017, 03:09 PM)Guest Wrote: I wouldn't concentrate on one program. For reference most other programs high step 1 trumps research by a landslide. They want smart residents, not ones that can publish. If both are high then more power.

I heard the opposite for UB, research trumps step scores (given they're not heinous). I personally would rather stay here with family and friends, that's why I'd like to match here. I'm also relatively active in this community, so I'd like to keep that going. I do get your point though, zeroing in on one program might not be the best approach to this competitive specialty.

(10-11-2017, 03:19 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 02:59 PM)Guest Wrote: I should have specified. Currently M2 and talked with a friend currently applying, he told me they're looking for 240's, ALOT of research experience (something around 25 for seniors) and an interest in an academic route. Also said 2 local NY subIs (SUNY upstate for one) help out, no preference for people that had spent any time rotating/observing in buffalo. He said it's not very competitive here since the lifestyle is a downside for many applicants, but the program is up and coming under levy and siddiqui. My friend didn't tell me whether he got an invite or not, and I totally understand everyone's discretion here. he also wasn't overly specific. seems like he's at least right about the research experience, any more insight would be helpful.

Bud, bud.  Just do your best.

I'll try my dude, just trying to optimize my application towards the specialty overall but skewed towards buffalo.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)