Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.4 Average
How common is it for academic neurosurgeons to do basic research?
How common is it for academic neurosurgeons to do basic research? For the ones that do own a lab, what's the usual split between operating time, clinic, and basic research?
Would love to know this as well. Having a lab is the dream
(10-12-2017, 10:26 AM)Tintinnabulum Wrote: Would love to know this as well. Having a lab is the dream

Then drop out of med school and go get a PhD.  You live to cut in neurosurgery.  Everything else is child's play.
This is uncommon but you have people like Eric Holland and a handful of other expamples that maintain large basic science labs with 80% or more research time. There are many more neurosurgeons that maintain small labs and devote a smaller percent of time to research but these labs are usually doing much less or much lower impact research compared to the power house fulltime researchers. These powerhouse researchers that are also neurosurgeons are very much so the exception and this is not an easy path to follow and it is generally only available to those who have had some big papers along the way and therefore have the grants to pull this off.
(10-12-2017, 11:13 AM)Guest Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 10:26 AM)Tintinnabulum Wrote: Would love to know this as well. Having a lab is the dream

Then drop out of med school and go get a PhD.  You live to cut in neurosurgery.  Everything else is child's play.

LMAO, Submitting my withdrawal papers now.
(10-12-2017, 02:39 AM)11262729NSG Wrote: How common is it for academic neurosurgeons to do basic research? For the ones that do own a lab, what's the usual split between operating time, clinic, and basic research?

its possible
To name a few:
Bob carter at MGH
Eskander at MGH/UCSD
Brem at hopkins
Aghi at UCSF
Eddy Chang at UCSF
Curry at MGH

powerhouse labs and exceptional surgeons
(10-12-2017, 01:12 PM)Millenial Wrote: This is uncommon but you have people like Eric Holland and a handful of other expamples that maintain large basic science labs with 80% or more research time. There are many more neurosurgeons that maintain small labs and devote a smaller percent of time to research but these labs are usually doing much less or much lower impact research compared to the power house fulltime researchers. These powerhouse researchers that are also neurosurgeons are very much so the exception and this is not an easy path to follow and it is generally only available to those who have had some big papers along the way and therefore have the grants to pull this off.

How does one get the training to independently (or cooperatively) run a lab? I think the thing I’ve been wondering about the most is how to take my research skills to the next level  is that something that we generally learn in residency if we want to? I just feel like there is an insurmountable gap between my project creation skills and those of a PI
(10-12-2017, 07:01 PM)Tintinnabulum Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 01:12 PM)Millenial Wrote: This is uncommon but you have people like Eric Holland and a handful of other expamples that maintain large basic science labs with 80% or more research time. There are many more neurosurgeons that maintain small labs and devote a smaller percent of time to research but these labs are usually doing much less or much lower impact research compared to the power house fulltime researchers. These powerhouse researchers that are also neurosurgeons are very much so the exception and this is not an easy path to follow and it is generally only available to those who have had some big papers along the way and therefore have the grants to pull this off.

How does one get the training to independently (or cooperatively) run a lab? I think the thing I’ve been wondering about the most is how to take my research skills to the next level  is that something that we generally learn in residency if we want to? I just feel like there is an insurmountable gap between my project creation skills and those of a PI

do a PhD or an extended post doc and learn good science
Do you guys think the field needs more neurosurgeon-scientists? Not necessarily someone who devotes 80% of his or her time to research.

I feel the same way. I always loved basic research.

At the same time, I don't think that I'll have adequate training compared to an MD-PHD student.
(10-12-2017, 08:17 PM)11262729NSG Wrote: Do you guys think the field needs more neurosurgeon-scientists? Not necessarily someone who devotes 80% of his or her time to research.

I feel the same way. I always loved basic research.

At the same time, I don't think that I'll have adequate training compared to an MD-PHD student.

Get a PhD to partner with. Phil Storm has a laboratory at CHOP with a PhD

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)