Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 2.18 Average
Pimp Questions
Anyone care to share some examples of pimp questions you’ve had? Or best sources to prepare a knowledge base for sub-i’s? 

I have no clue whether they will be simple or obscure or about research or anatomy. I read Greenberg casually when I have some free time but not sure if that’s the level should be aiming for.
MS3? It's really random, honestly, and will depend not only on what institution you're rotating with but also which attending. Just study in general and you'll be fine.
Yes MS3. Just trying to start prepping for aways beginning in May/June.
(10-12-2017, 04:02 PM)bregma Wrote: Yes MS3. Just trying to start prepping for aways beginning in May/June.

jesus dude chill out. You're like 9 months away.
(10-12-2017, 04:07 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 04:02 PM)bregma Wrote: Yes MS3. Just trying to start prepping for aways beginning in May/June.

I don’t think casual reading is being overzealous. My step score is below average so I’d rather be over prepared than under but thanks for your helpful input.
bregma
(10-12-2017, 04:07 PM)Guest Wrote:

I don’t think casual reading is being overzealous. My step score is below average so I’d rather be over prepared than under but thanks for your helpful input.

Care to share how much below average? Just a range even?

Mine is low as well and it has eaten me alive so would be nice to hear others are applying with sub-250s ...
230-235. Aka I need to shine on my away rotations and cramming for a couple weeks before they start is not how one does that. Troll guest is probably just mad someone wants to work harder than them.
(10-12-2017, 06:19 PM)bregma Wrote: 230-235. Aka I need to shine on my away rotations and cramming for a couple weeks before they start is not how one does that. Troll guest is probably just mad someone wants to work harder than them.

Do you, my friend. You didn't ask whether or not you should be preparing, you asked WHAT you should be reading to be prepared for questions. So, just ignore any unsoliticied advice. FWIW, my score USB lower than yours. Good luck to you.

(10-12-2017, 06:29 PM)Guest Wrote: Guest
(10-12-2017, 06:19 PM)bregma Wrote: 230-235. Aka I need to shine on my away rotations and cramming for a couple weeks before they start is not how one does that. Troll guest is probably just mad someone wants to work harder than them.

Do you, my friend. You didn't ask whether or not you should be preparing, you asked WHAT you should be reading to be prepared for questions. So, just ignore any unsoliticied advice. FWIW, my score USB lower than yours. Good luck to you.

My score is*
(10-12-2017, 10:29 AM)bregma Wrote: Anyone care to share some examples of pimp questions you’ve had? Or best sources to prepare a knowledge base for sub-i’s? 

I have no clue whether they will be simple or obscure or about research or anatomy. I read Greenberg casually when I have some free time but not sure if that’s the level should be aiming for.

Another MS3 here. I don't think there's any issue at all in beginning to study casually now. I'm actually trying to do the same.

I can't speak from sub-I experience, but from the time I've spent working with the department at my home institution I'd say anatomy and radiology are the most high yield topics by far.
I recommend essential neirosurgery by Kaye to start out. Good introduction to neurosurgical problems. Most pimping questions are about anatomy and radiology so review this as much as possible- include spine anatomy. Greenbergs anatomy section is good to learn the different branches of major arteries you learned in neuroanatomy. Neurosurgery explained has good chapters on anatomy and neuroradiology.
Some topics that come to mind are head trauma, indications for ICP monitoring, tiers of treatment for elevated ICP, SAH, TLICS, Spetzler-Martin grading, indications for treating subdurals and epiduural hematoma. There are more topics than i can remember right now.
If you are willing and able to read Greenberg before your rotation, then more power to you. I have heard people have done it. I used it throughout my rotation to read about my cases. I recommend supplementing your reading with the neuroanatomy books you used for preclinical years.
Best of luck!

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)