Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volume
So, I keep hearing about certain programs having lots of volume and certain programs not having lots of volume. I've actually heard that one particular nameless program is at the top in terms of volume and then I heard that the same program is actually at the bottom. Which one is it?

Volume is something that is important and should impact our rank lists, but  many of the reports I've seen seem to be based on hearsay, doximity bs, program self-report, and/or the prestige commanded by the name of the attached undergraduate institution.

Surely, scientists, we can do better. 

Thus, I propose the following - average number of cases per day divided by the total number of residents. Qualifying information, such as whether or not the vast majority of cases were nerve root decompressions or brainstem schwannomas, can be added. 

I'll give you a theoretical example, and then add several real-life ones once this list gets going.

Princeton Plainsboro - There were 4 rooms averaging 2 cases a day during my sub-I there. They have a children's hospital which averages 2 rooms a day with 2 cases each. So, about 12 total cases a day. There were also 12 residents on service when I was there. 2 were off for research. Thus, the volume index is 12/12 = 1.0

Hopefully whatever real-life examples get offered here will be more interesting and revealing.
(10-31-2017, 01:34 PM)Volume Wrote: So, I keep hearing about certain programs having lots of volume and certain programs not having lots of volume. I've actually heard that one particular nameless program is at the top in terms of volume and then I heard that the same program is actually at the bottom. Which one is it?

Volume is something that is important and should impact our rank lists, but  many of the reports I've seen seem to be based on hearsay, doximity bs, program self-report, and/or the prestige commanded by the name of the attached undergraduate institution.

Surely, scientists, we can do better. 

Thus, I propose the following - average number of cases per day divided by the total number of residents. Qualifying information, such as whether or not the vast majority of cases were nerve root decompressions or brainstem schwannomas, can be added. 

I'll give you a theoretical example, and then add several real-life ones once this list gets going.

Princeton Plainsboro - There were 4 rooms averaging 2 cases a day during my sub-I there. They have a children's hospital which averages 2 rooms a day with 2 cases each. So, about 12 total cases a day. There were also 12 residents on service when I was there. 2 were off for research. Thus, the volume index is 12/12 = 1.0

Hopefully whatever real-life examples get offered here will be more interesting and revealing.

"Surely, scientists, we can do better."

- The Good Doctor

Sweet trolling.
Brigham - 10/12 - 0.83
MGH - 8/12 - 0.75
I think first start cases or rooms per day would be a better metric than cases per day. Usually the resident just stays in a given room the whole day.

But for cases per day, I'll give one of my aways from last year.

Baylor-18 residents (3 research), 24 cases ratio 1.33
Tulane - Ochsner

Combined count from personal tracking from 1/1/17 - 11/11-17 (number is lower than actual since I didn't count radio surgery and missed a number of outpatient procedures at tulane and DSAs at ochsner) = 2334

Number above divided by 320 days = 7.29 cases per day. That's including weekends, on which usually there are only emergency cases.

Excluding 83 weekend days, 2334 / 237 = 9.84.

9 residents, one on research, one second and one intern off service at any given time gives us 6 active residents.

9.84 / 6 = 1.64.

Other useful numbers.

Average list size (25-65 omc, usually in 40s, generally three first starts, one angio suite, three residents on service. At Tulane 10-25, usually in teens plus 3-4 at lakeside, two first starts, one angio, three residents. Combined list is usually thus 35-85 most often high 50's low 60's across all three hospitals.)

There is one call pool and one resident covers entire list while primary as well as any cases that need to go. Service covers spine call at ochsner usually for three weeks a month with one week covered by ortho. About one week per month of endovascular with the other weeks split between IR and vascular neurology. At tulane spine and endovascular is always covered by neurosurgery everyday. Both hospitals are comprehensive stroke centers so endovascular interventionist must be available 24/7 . Average consults per night (7pm-6am) is usually 5-6. Most I've personally had in a single night is 14. I've had one no-hitter.
(11-17-2017, 07:51 PM)I Guest Wrote: Tulane - Ochsner

Combined count from personal tracking from 1/1/17 - 11/11-17 (number is lower than actual since I didn't count radio surgery and missed a number of outpatient procedures at tulane and DSAs at ochsner) = 2334

Number above divided by 320 days = 7.29 cases per day. That's including weekends, on which usually there are only emergency cases.

Excluding 83 weekend days, 2334 / 237 = 9.84.

9 residents, one on research, one second and one intern off service at any given time gives us 6 active residents.

9.84 / 6 = 1.64.

Other useful numbers.

Average list size (25-65 omc, usually in 40s, generally three first starts, one angio suite, three residents on service. At Tulane 10-25, usually in teens plus 3-4 at lakeside, two first starts, one angio, three residents. Combined list is usually thus 35-85 most often high 50's low 60's across all three hospitals.)

There is one call pool and one resident covers entire list while primary as well as any cases that need to go. Service covers spine call at ochsner usually for three weeks a month with one week covered by ortho. About one week per month of endovascular with the other weeks split between IR and vascular neurology. At tulane spine and endovascular is always covered by neurosurgery everyday. Both hospitals are comprehensive stroke centers so endovascular interventionist must be available 24/7 . Average consults per night (7pm-6am) is usually 5-6. Most I've personally had in a single night is 14. I've had one no-hitter.

As far as you know, how does this compare to LSU-NO?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)