Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiers 2017
My impression of tiers based on nebulous stuff like resident opinions and on interview invites this season:

1. UCSF, Barrow, Pitt, UCLA, MGH, Johns Hopkins, Columbia, Penn, Duke, NYU, Brigham, Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, Cornell, Stanford, Michigan, UVA

2. Northwestern, Emory, Jefferson, UT Southwestern, Vanderbilt, Utah, UC Irvine, Tufts, Utah, Carolinas, Baylor, USC, Miami, Rush, Wisconsin, Florida, Indiana, U Wash, OHSU

3. Rochester, Dartmouth, Brown, VCU, UNC, Beth Israel, Mayo Jacksonville, Mount Sinai, U Chicago, Buffalo, Minnesota, Georgetown, Yale, Penn State, Maryland, NIH, Wake Forest, Washington St. Louis

4. Albany, Kentucky, Inova, UT Houston, UCSD, Tenessee, UI Chicago, USF, Vermont, Rutgers, Hofstra, LSU, Henry Ford, Iowa, MUSC, Kentucky, George Washington

5. Temple, Nebraska, SUNY Upstate, Oklahoma, Einstein, Alabama, Mississippi, UI Peoria, Allegheny, New Mexico, Geisinger, West Virignia, Wayne State, Houston Methodist, St. Louis, NYMC Westchester

6. Tulane, Medical College of Wisconsin, LSU Shreveport, Scott and White, UT Galveston, Louisville, Arizona, Missouri, Cincinnati, Medical College of Georgia, Puerto Rico

I would be interested in hearing what other people think. Good luck on the rest of your interviews everyone.
Irvine higher tier than WUSTL?!
(11-03-2017, 11:00 PM)Guest Wrote: My impression of tiers based on nebulous stuff like resident opinions and on interview invites this season:

1. UCSF, Barrow, Pitt, UCLA, MGH, Johns Hopkins, Columbia, Penn, Duke, NYU, Brigham, Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, Cornell, Stanford, Michigan, UVA

2. Northwestern, Emory, Jefferson, UT Southwestern, Vanderbilt, Utah, UC Irvine, Tufts, Utah, Carolinas, Baylor, USC, Miami, Rush, Wisconsin, Florida, Indiana, U Wash, OHSU

3. Rochester, Dartmouth, Brown, VCU, UNC, Beth Israel, Mayo Jacksonville, Mount Sinai, U Chicago, Buffalo, Minnesota, Georgetown, Yale, Penn State, Maryland, NIH, Wake Forest, Washington St. Louis

4. Albany, Kentucky, Inova, UT Houston, UCSD, Tenessee, UI Chicago, USF, Vermont, Rutgers, Hofstra, LSU, Henry Ford, Iowa, MUSC, Kentucky, George Washington

5. Temple, Nebraska, SUNY Upstate, Oklahoma, Einstein, Alabama, Mississippi, UI Peoria, Allegheny, New Mexico, Geisinger, West Virignia, Wayne State, Houston Methodist, St. Louis, NYMC Westchester

6. Tulane, Medical College of Wisconsin, LSU Shreveport, Scott and White, UT Galveston, Louisville, Arizona, Missouri, Cincinnati, Medical College of Georgia, Puerto Rico

I would be interested in hearing what other people think. Good luck on the rest of your interviews everyone.

Lol no.
(11-04-2017, 02:48 AM)Guest Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 11:00 PM)Guest Wrote: My impression of tiers based on nebulous stuff like resident opinions and on interview invites this season:

Lol no.
they barely operate at MGH and Brigham.
So what if they don't operate much? People still want to go there for the name and the opportunity MGH and BWH create, especially in academic medicine. You can't deny that it's competitive to get in.

As far as UIC and WUSTL go, I don't know much about those programs. Where would you put them?

I expected people to be rude and or butthurt about this list, but I decided to post it anyway to give M1, M2 and M3 at least a general sense of how competitive you have to be if you're interested in a particular residency.

If you disagree with me, post your own.
There is no way Tufts or Rochester are that high. Same with U Chicago, Dartmouth, Brown, and Irvine.
They operate at BWH. Did a sub I there.
(11-04-2017, 09:09 AM)Guest Wrote: They operate at BWH. Did a sub I there.

also did a sub I there. the attendings and fellows operate. not the residents
Tiers are a pointless and this is a ridiculous and arbitrary process of trying to categorize programs on flawed and uncomfortable metrics. Talk with residents and attendings but most importantly go with your gut and your observations.

1. Brigham and Cornell? Top tier programs? Both are in the shadow of far superior programs in close proximity and shouldn't be in the same category as their better counterparts. Why are Stanford and Duke up here? Top tier in terms of research yes, but the overall operative experience and volume at these places leave much to be desired.

2. Emory and UWash have exceptional reputations in the neurosurgical realm and should be higher. UCI might be the most malignant residency program in the country. Besides being in OC it has no upside. Carolinas has no academic output and is too young of a program. Don't know much about Tufts, but I doubt it's in the second tier of neurosurgical programs. Wisconsin, OHSU and Vandy are above average programs but I hesitate to say they belong in this tier.

3. This just seems like you saw the name brand places like Brown, Dartmouth and Chicago and ranked them highly. They are low volume places that are afloat because of a powerhouse institution to back them up and one or two academically well known faculty members. In reality there are places you put in tier 4 and 5 that are better programs.

4. Iowa and Tennessee should be higher. Not exactly flashy places but they are good training programs.

5 and 6 seem agreeable

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)