Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
indian M.B.B.S wants neurosurgery in america
Hello my friends,
Anyone can recommend good PhD programs in the America?

Will USMLE be good for admission or will I need to take GRE?

Very warm thanks and regards
Rakesh
(11-16-2017, 03:52 AM)Guest Wrote: Hello my friends,

Rakesh

Spending 4-6 years in a PhD program would be a poor use of your time if your desire is to start a 7 year neurosurgery residency at the end of it.
(11-16-2017, 01:32 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-16-2017, 03:52 AM)Guest Wrote: Hello my friends,

Rakesh

Spending 4-6 years in a PhD program would be a poor use of your time if your desire is to start a 7 year neurosurgery residency at the end of it.

I will choose the 3 year PhD option. Else i can do Mph?

Jai shree krishna
-Rakesh
please friends. help me out with decision making
I don't think getting an additional degree will help you out too much. There are two ways you can go from here: 1) research at a big academic institution like MGH or UCSF and hope your PI there will write you a good letter and make phone calls in your behalf or 2) work at an institution where you can feasibly match after proving your worth like UArkansas, Medical College of Georgia, Nebraska, etc. Either way you'll be expected to have 10 publications minimum before applying as an FMG. Then you're going to need to do 3-4 Sub-Is and perform exceptionally well and get stellar recommendation letters.
There is no 3 year PhD option in the US.
Honestly close to impossible though. FWIW an my institution there is always an army of FMGs trying to get into residency in the US. While some of them get into neurology or some other specialty it is extraordinarily rare for them to get into nsgy. No trying to be a downer just saying to be realistic.
(11-19-2017, 02:35 PM)Guest Wrote: Honestly close to impossible though. FWIW an my institution there is always an army of FMGs trying to get into residency in the US. While some of them get into neurology or some other specialty it is extraordinarily rare for them to get into nsgy. No trying to be a downer just saying to be realistic.

hi and thank you for reply. I will work hard and get neurosurgery position. I have some good email replies from surgeons to join their lab.
Hello Guys,
This is Rakesh. Happy New Year!
I will be joining a neurosurgeon lab in Duke university coming this summer.

Thank you very much for advice.

Jai Shree krishna
Hey are you a graduate ? If you haven't graduated yet then also consider doing electives. We can't do sub-i once we graduate whereas research can be done anytime. So try to get some electives as well because you'll need an LOR that comments on your clinical skills on the floor. You can PM me on here( I am Indian mbbs interested in NSG as well so would love to connect).

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)