Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jeff vs. Penn
I think it would be better if we had a clearer definition of malignant vs. tough training, since some get the two confused. I’m at a different institution, but have never heard of Pitt or NYU being malignant. I’ve heard Hopkins used to be and has since changed. But even when I was interviewing a couple years back, I felt the only way to actually know is if you went to that program. Or if you did a sub I or noticed something odd on your interview.
Is BWH really malignant or just has a tough work schedule? I've not heard this previously.
What makes UVA malignant? Can anyone share some examples?
(11-20-2017, 02:31 PM)Guest Wrote: Is BWH really malignant or just has a tough work schedule? I've not heard this previously.

Really is malignant.  The schedule is not terribly tough because they are low volume.  The culture is slowly changing because Chiocca and Cosgrove are gentleman, but the whole of the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic is a tough environment.
(11-20-2017, 05:22 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-20-2017, 02:31 PM)Guest Wrote: Is BWH really malignant or just has a tough work schedule? I've not heard this previously.

Really is malignant.  The schedule is not terribly tough because they are low volume.  The culture is slowly changing because Chiocca and Cosgrove are gentleman, but the whole of the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic is a tough environment.

Interesting. Do you think it's a resident or attending thing? Or a hospital thing?
Brigham is not malignant. The people there are kind and focused on academics, so if academics isn't your thing it may not be the program for you.
Brigham is pretty malignant in terms of resident culture. One of my friend's is a current resident. Being heavy in academics does not make things malignant, there are multiple added factors than just that.

In terms of the other programs, when I interviewed at NYU years back all I knew is that they were a power workhorse, ton of cases. In terms of UVA, the advice that I got was to proceed with caution since they have historically fired a ton of residents. Attendings constantly yelled at residents, residents didn't get along, saturday school even if you had the day/weekend off (lol). I'm not sure how things have changed to date.

Columbia has been a tough program historically but you at least get interspersed lab years to get a break throughout residency. Ancillary staff sucks in NYC due to the nurses being unionized, hence more scut work. You will still have the Columbia name which will go far.

To echo what has been said above, culture is largely set by the chief residents and program director. It's hard to tease out malignancy during an interview since everyone has to be on their best behavior. Just take a look at resident-resident and resident-attending interaction during your interview and dinner. But most importantly, ask your PD to see what he/she advises

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)